FFL Required

darrenmd

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
62   0
Reaction score
Is there a manufactured date of a weapon, pistol, that if ordered/purchased doesn't require an FFL? such as the Pawn shops need a license to buy and sell pistols newer than 1899.....I think....

From ATF: https://www.atf.gov/content/what-qualifies-antique-firearm

What qualifies as an antique firearm?

As defined in 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(16) the term “antique firearm” means -

…

any firearm (including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898; or
any replica of any firearm described in subparagraph (A) if such replica -
is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition, or
uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade; or
any muzzle loading rifle, muzzle loading shotgun, or muzzle loading pistol, which is designed to use black powder, or a black powder substitute, and which cannot use fixed ammunition. For purposes of this subparagraph, the term ‘antique firearm’ shall not include any weapon which incorporates a firearm frame or receiver, any firearm which is converted into a muzzle loading weapon, or any muzzle loading weapon, which can be readily converted to fire fixed ammunition by replacing the barrel, bolt, breechblock, or any combination thereof.

ATF has previously determined that certain muzzle loading models are firearms and subject to the provisions of the Gun Control Act of 1968 (GCA). All of these guns incorporate the frame or receiver of a firearm that is capable of accepting other barrels designed to fire conventional rimfire or centerfire fixed ammunition. Therefore, these muzzle loading models do not meet the definition of “antique firearm” as that term is defined in the above-cited § 921(a)(16) and are “firearms” as defined in 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(3)

Furthermore, as firearms, the models described above, as well as other similar models, regardless of installed barrel type, are subject to all provisions of the GCA. Persons who purchase these firearms from licensed dealers are required to fill out ATF Form 4473 and are subject to a National Instant Background Check System (NICS) check. Convicted felons and certain other persons are prohibited from receiving and possessing these firearms.

The following is a list of weapons that load from the muzzle and remain classified as firearms, not antiques, under the purview of the GCA since they incorporate the frame or receiver of a firearm:

Savage Model 10ML (early, 1st version).
Mossberg 500 shotgun with muzzle loading barrel.
Remington 870 shotgun with muzzle loading barrel.
Mauser 98 rifle with muzzle loading barrel.
SKS rifle with muzzle loading barrel
RPB sM10 pistol with muzzle loading barrel.
H&R/New England Firearm Huntsman.
Thompson Center Encore/Contender.
Rossi .50 muzzle loading rifle.

This list is not complete and it frequently changes; therefore, there may be other muzzle loaders also classified as firearms. As noted, any muzzleloader weapon that is built on a firearm frame or receiver falls within the definition of a firearm provided in § 921(a)(3).

I was close on the year... I have been looking at various revolver that have been manufactured before 1898. Steelhorses... that is a lot of information... I see where it is indicated the lack of ammo being produced still... so for example, a S&W Model 1 or Model 2 which fire .22 and .32 rimfire ammo, these would still require a FFL?

Welcome to the crazy world of antique guns. Although it would be possible to fire a S&W Model 1 using a CB or BB cap, you have to remember that the youngest one around is 132 years old. If you have unlimited funds and a desire to have a prosthetic hand, shooting one of these can be iffy. They were originally made for a black powder 22 round that hasn't been made in years.
There are some fairly modern guns, like the Colt SAA, Winchester Model 1898 and 1892 that slip in under the 1898 ruling because they were made both before and after that year. The guns produced before 1898 tend to be expensive with antique dated Colt SAA starting at $3000. I regularly shoot a pre 1898 Krag. There are some ammo manufacturers that produce low power ammo for older guns, especially those used in Cowboy Action.

Many dealers, and some auctioneers are doing this as a CYA technique. It is annoying as the Model 1 and many others fall into the "uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade". By the same token, if I owned a gun business, I would probably CMA too.

Back
Top Bottom