• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Filling a hollow synthetic stock?

I'm not brave enough to use something that can explode cinder blocks. ;)

Bubba 101

They make a very low expansion type foam - Same that is used at air stop for vinyl windows so as to not cause binding from bowing - leaving the butt pad off till it completely mushroom cures will help

My problem in the past is it dries outside in and the middle can stay gooey for a long time as eventually the drying area cocoons the wet foam from air - Especially on deep fills

Epoxy or fiberglass resin and cloth or gauze is what I do now but that depends on whether the stock can take that heat

I butter the pieces and loose pack the void in small sections letting it pretty much dry before the next layer - this will help keep the voids from collapsing as you go

Synthetic stocks can deform - I take the precaution of ice in the bathtub and haven’t ruined anything yet

The loose fiberglass can even be drilled later for lead weights and epoxied in if more weight is needed

OK, so follow up. The first stock (OEM on a Rem 700) had a folded piece of the translucent styrofoam sheets you'd you use to wrap something for shipping stuffed in it. It wasn't doing squat. I removed it. I tried Don231s Don231s 's idea and stuffed it as dense as I could by hand using poly pillow stuffing. I can tell a difference. Still not what I'd like, but certainly worth the couple minutes of effort.
The second rifle has an aftermarket Ramline stock on it (what a piece of junk :rolleyes:). I just couldn't stand trashing the beautiful wood stock that was on it (80s vintage Vanguard), so put the Ramline on many years ago. I was surprised when I opened it to find that that stock actually had the spray in expanding foam already in it. I can't swear I didn't do it. I've had the rifle 35+ years. Whether I did it or the factory, it sounded as hollow as it could be so the foam also wasn't doing squat. I dug out as much as I could and again jammed it with poly fill from a pillow. Unfortunately, I can't tell any appreciable difference on that one. :blue: That plastic on the Ramline is really hard. From here on out, it'll only be Hogue over molded on my hunting rigs.

Oh yeah, PRO-TIP. When cutting open a pillow in your man cave with the ceiling fan running, make SURE you didn't accidentally grab a down filled pillow! :doh: :lol:

OK, so follow up. The first stock (OEM on a Rem 700) had a folded piece of the translucent styrofoam stuff sheets you'd you use to wrap something for shipping. It wasn't doing squat. I removed it. I tried Don231s Don231s 's idea and stuffed it has dense as I could by hand using poly pillow stuffing. I can tell a difference. Still not what I'd like, but certainly worth the couple minutes of effort.
The second rifle has an aftermarket Ramline stock on it (what a piece of junk :rolleyes:). I just couldn't stand trashing the beautiful wood stock that was on it (80s vintage Vanguard), so put the Ramline on many years ago. I was surprised when I opened it to find that that stock actually had the spray in expanding foam already in it. I can't swear I didn't do it. I've had the rifle 35+ years. Whether I did it or the factory, it sounded as hollow as it could be so the foam also wasn't doing squat. I dug out as much as I could and again jammed it with poly fill from a pillow. Unfortunately, I can't tell any appreciable difference on that one. :blue: That plastic on the Ramline is really hard. From here on out, it'll only be Hogue over molded on my hunting rigs.

Oh yeah, PRO-TIP. When cutting open a pillow in your man cave with the ceiling fan running, make SURE you didn't accidentally grab a down filled pillow! :doh: :lol:
Broman get you a Bell and Carslon stock and be done with it.

Back
Top Bottom