Finally got to shoot my first ever build today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BIGLEW

Air Force Icon Supporter
AKA: BIG PRETTY - BDR1
446   0
Reaction score
It went well for the first 8 shots, then just stopped. The bolt was locked forward, but not seated. Would NOT budge at all! I pulled on the charging handle with all I had and the BCG was not moving at all! I was lucky a guy that knew his stuff was there and had some tools. He tapped the forward assist and got the bolt to seat, I pulled the upper and lower apart, then we tapped the charging handle to get the bolt out. After a bunch of looking it over, finally noticed the gas tube was not on straight in the upper. It was canted just enough to lock everything up I guess. Took the bolt and it was fine going in and out of the lug. Took just the bolt carrier and dropped it in the upper and it stuck on the gas tube in the same manner as when I was shooting it.

So it looks like I will be loosening my free float (which I may just remove, not really sold on it as of yet. It is a rifle length and I do not put much on my AR's any more. I have a magpul hand guard and complete delta nut in the garage.) and adjusting the ring to where the BCG and gas tube will work correctly. So not a satisfactory first outing, but dang fun and I am actually looking forward to tinkering with her again!

Last edited:
Sorry this did not go as you had hoped... At least you have been able to identify the issue...

I procrastinated for about 3 months before I took out my first build (took it to the range in October).... Worried that something would not work

Thank Goodness... All worked flawlessly .... I hope your build is right on your next outing

Good Luck

Gas tubes and their installation are the cause of most malfunctions, I'm with a few, I've had problems with uppers I've tried to install so I seek out more versed folks to do my uppers!!!! Ican recommend Shrek , with great results

Last edited:
I think I got it figured out. Turns out I did not tighten down my screws in my gas block enough. This allowed for the gas block to turn a bit, which made the gas tube cant to the left at the end causing a misalignment from the gas key just enough to make it lock up. I was sure to hold it still and torqued it down as much as I felt comfortable doing. I can cycle it and it is smooth. I am going to take it out again Saturday and attempt to run 5 mags through it.

Took it out again last week and it ran 80+ round through her. She ran flawlessly! I normally do not post pics of guns I am not looking to sale, but what do you guys think?

i59.tinypic.com_bjh2qv.jpg

i60.tinypic.com_rmmqfr.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom