• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Finished my Handguards on my AK!!

BlackRifler42

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
151   0
Reaction score
I picked this CAI Polish Underfolder up last week brand new and the wood was just to plain for me....not enough "flash" for me. So I did a little research to see what was the best way to refinish the wood. I ended up going with Rit Dye(wine color) and finishing it off with a few coats of polyurethane. I was very pleased with the outcome. The ones that have used polyurethane know it can be a tedious process but I enjoyed every step!! There's just something about making something plain/dull into a beautiful looking weapon!! Here's the before and after results!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    450.3 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    520 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    521.8 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    546.4 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    519.9 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    519.5 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    499.8 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    605.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Thanks guys!! Quick fact about Rit dye though!! I learned this after I started and had to start over.......The liquid Rit Dye which I used is full of salt so you have to run it through a coffee filter to get most of the salt out. But other then that its great stuff!

Thanks guys!! Quick fact about Rit dye though!! I learned this after I started and had to start over.......The liquid Rit Dye which I used is full of salt so you have to run it through a coffee filter to get most of the salt out. But other then that its great stuff!

What do you mean you "learned this after you started"?
What did it do?
Looks great btw!

Well after I had sanded everything down and was ready to go I put the first coat of Rit on the upper handguard. It drys pretty quick and after about 10 minutes it looked like I had "bedazzled" it!!! lol. All the salt was shining and glimmering. So I sanded it back down and got all the salt off of the handguard. I googled it and realized the dye was full of salt so I filtered it through a coffee filter and it turned out just fine.

Back
Top Bottom