first problem with duracoat

What temp is required to cerakote? My buddy owns Miller's powder coating but only powdcoats his guns for fear of heat from true ceracoting temps affecting the temper of his firearms steal. I'm no pro on the Rockwell scale so I trust experienced pro's

Recommended temps vary from about 170/180 for optics and certain polymers up to about 350 for gassing out parts. My oven gets up to about 250 max which works just fine, I just increase the cure time a little bit.

EDIT: And those low temps will have absolutely no effect on steel temper. Hell, the melting point of Nylon 6 polymer used in Glock frames is somewhere north of 400 degrees F. I believe.

I used d.x. 330. Has worked fine on all refinished projects prior. Don't want to be the shhbiird that says. "I want a refund. Just want to know mistake I made

What temp is required to cerakote? My buddy owns Miller's powder coating but only powdcoats his guns for fear of heat from true ceracoting temps affecting the temper of his firearms steal. I'm no pro on the Rockwell scale so I trust experienced pro's

300°s for off gassing after degreasing and blasting, 250°s for 2 hours for metal to cure.

180° off gas for plastic and 150°-180° for 2 hours to cure.

Sniper22 I have no idea what makes it self lubricating but trusted a company I've delt with for 5 years. I know Wilson combat or les Baer uses the same concept. So I had to try , but got poor results. Not looking for key punchers just thought some other compitent firearm refinisher might be able to help.

I'm not picking just trying to find out what's in it to cause the issue.
How many times did you try?

Have only tried once with the s.I. contacted Lauer weaponry, and asked if the s.l. had less adhesion. They said no. Have been debating wether or not to try again with same product or take another rought.

Have only tried once with the s.I. contacted Lauer weaponry, and asked if the s.l. had less adhesion. They said no. Have been debating wether or not to try again with same product or take another rought.

Just a suggestion, but you say this is the first time you used this particular version of DuraCoat, so it may be worth it to just do a test on a piece of scrap steel. That way you could at least be sure the process works OK (or not) before you try the Tenifer coated part again.

Just a suggestion, but you say this is the first time you used this particular version of DuraCoat, so it may be worth it to just do a test on a piece of scrap steel. That way you could at least be sure the process works OK (or not) before you try the Tenifer coated part again.

Just any piece of metal would work.

That would be my suggestion, it may be a bad batch of product. The delamination is typically caused by either a contaminant, failure to crosslink(chemical or heat catylized), or intercoat adhesion issue.

Back
Top Bottom