First time bow hunting.

jaybees

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
13   1
Reaction score
Going up a tree this afternoon and again tomorrow morning with a bow for the first time. Any advice you guys can offer. My main concern is getting up and drawn without running the deer off. Is that as tough as I think it's going to be. If I see one, should I be picky about my first bow kill or take the first one I see? Can't believe how nervous I am and I'm not even in a tree yet.

Don't worry about making noise going up the tree....make your noise until you get settled.
Get situated and enjoy the woods once you Get settled and ready.
Most of the time I don't see anything until the last half hour
Of available light.

It's always helpful To sneek in, set up and go up your
Tree As quiet as possible but with a climber your Gonna make noise.

Now when you have a ladder set up you can get in and up like a ninja.

Don't forget Your safety harness and just keep moving your safety rope
Up the tree And making sure it's secure each time you follow it up the tree.
Don't forget to tie a tether from your top to your bottom portion
In case your footrest falls out from under you.

Don't forget to tether your bow to your climber with a pull up rope.

Good luck man!
You're gonna love it up there.....pick a good tree with some good shooting lanes.

If possible stand when the deer is at a distance. It really helps to learn to shoot sitting. As far as drawing, I try to wait till they are eating, distracted or behind a tree to draw. Keep In mind you may have to hold draw a long time if he doesn't produce a shot.

Get a good rangefinder and know your ranges before deer presents itself,hopefully you have practice from elevated range because point of impack will be different,learn from your mistakes,good luck.

How did it go.
Had 2 does show up about 30 minutes before dark on the other side of the pond. Took their time walking around the bank and didn't get close enough to me before dark. Good experience though. Felt comfortable getting up and situated for a shot. Believe I could've pulled it off given the chance.
Sitting here by a fire soaking up this 56* weather listening to a datgum pack of dogs run the branch I'm hunting in the a.m.

Might wanna set
Up closer to where you saw the deer last night so you can get a shot if they resume that same pattern.
If there's any way to get about
30 yards away near a spot where they slow down or browse with the wind in your face while looking at them you might pull it off.
Keep in mind if you kill one in front of others chances are they will avoid that spot altogether for a long time or go nocturnal.
I like When they travel alone but I also let them walk if they're too small or if my dumb azz bags a spike and I'm forced to watch the same big bodied six point run around my stand daily because it knows I can't shoot it...lol.

Man....deer hunting advice is
Strange because all the basics help yet unpredictability is usually the outcome.
My luck I would change spots then have them dance circles in the spot I moved from the previous night.

Back
Top Bottom