Flattening out the trajectory on my 30"06

Lumberman

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
38   0
Reaction score
I am loading 50.5 grns of varget behind a 168grn barnes triple shock. I am happy with the group sizes that this round is producing, but not with the trajectory. How can I flatten this round out? Approx. 5 inches higher at 100yds than at 50yds. My rifle is a 1/11 twist. Also 50.5 is the max charge behind most 165 and 168 bullets, but another reloader told me he loads 56grns behind a 130grn barnes. Anyone with experince on a heavier charge than the 50.5 of varget that I am loading behind a 168grn bullet.

It sounds like you zeroed at fifty yards instead of 100 and didn't take into account the difference between the axis of the bore and the axis of the centerline of your scope and at what point they intersect. The easiest solution is to re zero at 100 and then shoot at fifty, I believe this will resolve your issue. If not your rings may be sitting way too high.

A 50 yd "0" is gonna put you very high @ 100 yds. You're pushing the bullet up steep to meet the line of sight so quickly at 50. It's gonna push it up a great deal more a little further down range.

Everything is so complicated. Wish I had paid better attention in math classes. Anybody know how to measure ballistic coefficent based on info given. Thks for the info I have learned something new.

Back
Top Bottom