Flyers

These are reloads,trued 700 action brux barrel,action is bedded at recoil lug not around rear action screw.Does not happen all the time.Each load is measured and checked with a concentricity guage.

These are reloads,trued 700 action brux barrel,action is bedded at recoil lug not around rear action screw.Does not happen all the time.Each load is measured and checked with a concentricity guage.

Yep, probably barrel harmonics. Change the load slightly and try again. Try bumping your seating depth down .01 of an inch. You can do this with ammo you already have loaded. It can make a dramatic difference in performance. If that doesn't work, you can probably bump it that same amount a couple more times. Be careful not to compress the load too much. If that's not working, you'll need to start over with a different load.

Different brands of ammo often will vary results in accuracy.

Watch someone shooting a semi auto and you will sometimes see the empty cases ejected all over the place rather than a more predictable spot.

Same case same projectile same weapon. Usually powder charge is not the same.

This happens with my favorite 30-06.

The thing hates Remington ammo for some reason. I put the exact same bullet weight of winchester in-and is shoots happy as a clam. The results with Remington are so bad, it would make you think something is bad wrong with the rifle. I haven't reloaded for this rifle (yet,) but it is a finicky beast. It will be tough to find the right load for it. Some rifles are like that.

As for the OP, I would try a little different powder charge first, then I would go to a different kind of powder. Some experimentation will fix her up nicely!

Recently I attempted to work up an accurate load in a Remington 700 with a heavy barrel. After installing a Bell & Carlson stock and epoxy bedding the mounts and rings. It became apparent that the long chamber throat was a major hinderance, but was corrected by proper handloading. Do not attempt this without proper knowlegde or instruction or a huge mess will result.

pictures of your flyers might help.

have you played with your COAL using the same know good load.

have you marked the brass from a flyer to see if it might be related to a case...

measuring your neck thickness will do way more than case weight to separate your brass.

oh yeah what caliber are we dealing with here

How many times have the cases been loaded. Cases work harden and cause different press fit pressures on the bullet. Annealing cured my flyers on cases loaded more than three times.

Match brass will have drilled primer pockets for more uniform ignition of the powder as opposed to standard brass which has punched flash holes and the flash hole can be uneven. Cutting the flash holes for uniformity is quite simple and the tool is cheap. I have found Remington brass to be less uniform than others. I agree that proper neck tension and turning necks tightens groups but I have found some shocking oddball weights in a brand of lower cost brass that I have prepped since last winter, when my perferred brass became hard to come by that was so severe that pieces of new brass had to be discarded.

Back
Top Bottom