Food for thought (no pun intended)

I seem to remember watching video of soldiers going door to door after Katrina, taking guns away from residents.

Well, again, I had hoped this thread would continue to be about the importance of mindsets in prepping. But, since this keeps coming up, actually that was the local police. Go to youtube and search "gun grabbers of Katrina". It's all right there. As for the military, the National Guard was sent into the area with rifles but no bullets and had them taken by armed mobs of looters.

Please start another thread if you want to discuss gun confiscation, gun control, the military's response to gun control, etc.... Not to be rude, but the original topic is what I was hoping everyone would share thoughts on.

Thanks

Last edited:
We have been putting extra food back for 2 years now when funds permit. We have had to use it once already when my BIL lost his job and they ran short of $$. It's amazing how seeing it first hand brings it into clear focus. Was able to give them enough food for a month for 3 people. We am rebuilding our stocks also and have enough to feed 4 for 3 months. Have taught ourselves pressure canning this summer and put up 20 qts. of spaghetti sauce. Keep a watch a Publix, they often have buy one, get one free. We hit the pasta and the 8'oclock coffee hard then. There are plenty of relatively inexpensive options that will let you put stuff back. I don't advertise it to anyone, just maybe bring a couple of extra bags in the house every week when we go to the store. We keep unscented bleach around as well. 8 acre pond beside the house. 16 drops per gallons or something like that. It was becoming a member here a listening to other people that got me started. I have seen it happen in many places in the world. I don't know what it will be that will cause hard times but I believe it is a matter of when and not if. I am more of a behind the scenes guys though and don't post much. Lot's of good info out here.

Soldiers will never come and take your guns. I am a drill SGT and have had this discussion numerous times with the guys I work with. If we were ever given an order to disarm American citizens we would desert and join the civilians in the fight against the Government. Soldiers are gun owners too. I know for a fact if that order were ever given only about 20% would do as they were told. The rest would go home and prepare for the 2nd civil war. Have a little faith in todays military men.

AMEN.....and Thank You for your service...

Have any of you checked out shelfreliance.com or wisefoodstorage.com or maybe even other freeze dried food companies. What are viable options for food storage I know here in the rural south we can everything. But what are some other options?

What about water? We have a hot tub that can be used although my second child my have been conceived in it. So it would only be for EXTREME emergencies:) I kid I kid. But seriously what are some of your ideas without giving away top secret info.

I've come to realize that in a total SHTF scenario sustainable food, water, ammo, and other resources will be a must but how do we do it. I mean I grow a garden every year. But with a meltdown of society how do we keep it up and protect it? I am relatively new to this idea of prepping. My bride and I have always put stuff back for a rainy day I have only recently discovered it had a name. What do y'all think will be the most likely cause of SHTF?

I love this thread I love the idea that there are more of us out there. I also enjoy the fact that I am not going to have to shoot you guys for coming to try and take my things. I hope this doesn't come across as a thread hijack I feel these are all relevant questions and I appreciate in advance all the help and support.

I'm saying this now, if you don't think there will come a time when bread will cost a days wage then you're gonna be in for a rude awakening.

Revelations 6:6

New Living Translation

And I heard a voice from among the four living beings say, "A loaf of wheat bread or three loaves of barley will cost a day's pay. And don't waste the olive oil and wine."

King James

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts say, A measure of wheat for a penny, and three measures of barley for a penny; and see thou hurt not the oil and the wine.

Revelations 6:6

New Living Translation

And I heard a voice from among the four living beings say, "A loaf of wheat bread or three loaves of barley will cost a day's pay. And don't waste the olive oil and wine."

King James

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts say, A measure of wheat for a penny, and three measures of barley for a penny; and see thou hurt not the oil and the wine.

I'm impressed. :)

All above replys have been well stated. Look how things get when a storm event such as snow is mentioned. people flock to the stores and can deplete items faster than they can be replenished.

I hope this makes us all take a few minutes to think of our limits and strengths. It is our soul responsibilty to be able to care for ourselves and loved ones in a time of crisis. Prep, train, and organize.

Well having had to go into my own stores (due to job losses and pay reductions) I am now only good for about a month. Only about a week of Mountain Dew supply, I would get very cranky after that ran out. But we are starting to turn a corner and able to start building supplies again. Also trying to be smarter about it this time. Learning to can and preserve our own as much as possible and where practical. But I still love my TV dinners for work.

Have any of you checked out shelfreliance.com or wisefoodstorage.com or maybe even other freeze dried food companies. What are viable options for food storage I know here in the rural south we can everything. But what are some other options?

What about water? We have a hot tub that can be used although my second child my have been conceived in it. So it would only be for EXTREME emergencies:) I kid I kid. But seriously what are some of your ideas without giving away top secret info.

I've come to realize that in a total SHTF scenario sustainable food, water, ammo, and other resources will be a must but how do we do it. I mean I grow a garden every year. But with a meltdown of society how do we keep it up and protect it? I am relatively new to this idea of prepping. My bride and I have always put stuff back for a rainy day I have only recently discovered it had a name. What do y'all think will be the most likely cause of SHTF?

I love this thread I love the idea that there are more of us out there. I also enjoy the fact that I am not going to have to shoot you guys for coming to try and take my things. I hope this doesn't come across as a thread hijack I feel these are all relevant questions and I appreciate in advance all the help and support.

McGill:

There are lots of viable option out there. You food storage preps can be a combo of things...fresh (grow you own), canned (store bought/home canned). dehydrated, and/or freeze dried. Two basic rules two remember:

1. Buy what you normally eat. No sense in stocking up on wheat if you are not going to find your own wheat and make your own bread.
2. Try before you buy any of the packaged long storage food (some of it great, some mediocre, some is just awful).

Back
Top Bottom