• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Food Plot Advice

I usually hunt over a pile of corn (Just kidding Geaux!), i hunt mostly in thick Piedmont, but this year I have the opportunity to hunt over a small 1/2 acre clearing in the forest. I'm thinking of doing a food plot, my questions are;

1. Is it too early to make one? and
2. If it isn't too early what should I plant in the middle of a forest?
3. I can't move heavy equipment in so I won't be able to plough the ground, just brush hog it and maybe break up the top inch or so of soil. What should I treat the soil with?

thx.

LIME, PLENTY OF LIME, AND WORK IT INTO THE SOIL...

Like most have said, bust up the ground and get some lime on it. I have already started turning the ground on some of our food plots, and put out six tons of lime last week. Also, if you are planting in a forest, you need something that will grow tall enough to not get smothered when the leaves start falling.

I didnt realize how acidic the soil is until I tested the hay field (bought property last year) 50 tons on 1 acres.
I hope/assume there's a type o in there somewhere? :becky:
Depends on soil type and current pH level but even clay loam only takes about 2 tons per acre for each desired point increase in pH.

Like most have said, bust up the ground and get some lime on it. I have already started turning the ground on some of our food plots, and put out six tons of lime last week. Also, if you are planting in a forest, you need something that will grow tall enough to not get smothered when the leaves start falling.

lol,not gonna hand shovel 6 tons lime. Can`t get a spreader truck to our plots.

Back
Top Bottom