• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

forging Titanium

no clever name

Default rank <2500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
172   0
Reaction score
Anyone every forged a knife out of Titanium? I have a coil spring from a shock that's titanium, here's the general info from the manufacturers site. Our springs are made from low density, high strength, corrosion resistant, anti-fatigue Grade 5 Titanium.

The total weight is around 12 oz. I'd like a karambit style knife made from it if possible. What info do I need to ask the manufacturer for to see if the spring is worth trying to make a knife from?

I dont believe the company will have the info you are looking for. I'd look into the properties of grade 5 Ti (hardness, mailability, melting point). Do you plan on heating and pounding it into a knife or grinding it down to your desired style? You may need to know how to heat treat Ti

There are tons of Ti blades out there, saw a plenty of them at the blade show that's what got me to thinking about the Ti spring I have. I don't think you see many of them because the metal is so expensive. Both Emerson & Strider make Ti karambits, they're 200 bucks more than the same version in steel.

The problem I'm running into is most of the knifemakers advertising Ti blades use stock removal vs forging. I've only found of couple of guys that forge Ti and they are so backed up they aren't taking new work right now. Just figured I'd see if any of the local guys that forge blades wanted to give it a try.

Back
Top Bottom