Fraudulent activity on debit card

I also had an Amazon card that got scammed. Signed up to get the discount but never used it anywhere. Next thing I know is there are charges showing up. The card was shredded the day I got it so no chance anyone got the number anywhere but their system.

I also had an Amazon card that got scammed. Signed up to get the discount but never used it anywhere. Next thing I know is there are charges showing up. The card was shredded the day I got it so no chance anyone got the number anywhere but their system.
I bet their data protection is garbage. It's alarming what i see in my job, data and infosec.

Last year about this time someone opened two student loan accounts for a total of $4,000 using my credit history. I check Credit Karma frequently and noticed the accounts. We disputed the accounts and after six months the loans were removed and our credit history restored.

Lot of work on my wife's part. The address tied to the accounts was in SW Atlanta near Greenbrier Mall; probably just a mailbox. The college was an online university in Delaware. The entity managing the loans was in Oklahoma. The money disbursed to the "student" was via a college debit card. I believe it all started at Best Buy 18 months ago because someone had changed the phone number associated with our account.

Needless to say, we keep our history with the credit reporting agencies frozen now. Nobody can do diddly-squat. It's a pain to unfreeze them temporarily when we need to do something, but better than resolving an issue after the fact. Even so, I now check Credit Karma and our banking accounts daily.

Keep your financial head on a swivel.

Screenshot_20231216_152505_Gallery.jpg

Back
Top Bottom