from pumped well to hand pump well

seanc770

Default rank <750 posts Lifetime Supporter
Frontiersman
72   0
Reaction score
i have a well in my yard that used to feed my house. it currently is hooked up to an electric pump. how do i convert it to a hand pump?

You will need to determine the static height of the water in your casing. The type of pump and cost is dependent apon how high you will try and lift the water (deep well vs shallow).

Harbor Frieght or your local hardware store should have the hand pumps, the only other thing you should need is enough drop pipe to get to the water and a foot valve to keep it primed.

northwestsharpshooter (or nws as his jail buddies call him) had a thread about this a while back if memory serves, might send him a pm- if he isn't busy with the swinger thing.

thanks for all the info, first i will determine the h2o depth then shoot nws a line as i have done bus w/ him b4. thanks again guys

Are you sure you wwant to go straight hand pump? Might be better to stay electric pump but look at alternate means of powering the pump. Perhaps solar or wind generation. Taking just the pump to hand only may solve one problem but solving the power problem will eliminate several problems at once.

Even if going to manual pump operation it still might be better to go with a transmission arrangement to allo you to switch the pum from hand to electric operation and back.

Watching Nat Geo today they had the prepper show with the guy who made a home out of 8 or 9 containers and one quote from the guy really rang strong to me... "redundancy over reliability". Better to have multiple methods of doing something than switch to one that's perceived as most reliable. You can always use old faithful if/when the primary fails as long as you prepare for options.

Back
Top Bottom