• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Item Relisted! FS/FT 1981 COLT MK IV Series 70 Government Model in Hard Chrome

Jackspack

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Addicted to the Shindig
Reaction score
Item has been relisted, you can find the new listing at: https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/t...s-70-government-model-in-hard-chrome.1361437/
Item Name: FS/FT 1981 COLT MK IV Series 70 Government Model in Hard Chrome

Zip Code: 30132

Item is for: Sale or Trade
Sale Price: 1750
Trade Value or Items Looking For: Same

Caliber: .45acp

Willing to Ship: No

Bill of Sale Required?: No

Item Description: I have a exquisite hard chrome 1981 Colt 1911. This weapon has had extensive custom work done to it. The front strap, back strap, trigger guard and back of the slide have all had custom checkering. The magwel has been flared. A R Swvenson ambi safety. Trigger breaks like glass. Custom sights. (1) Magazine in hard chrome, VZ Grips. It's immaculate and to nice for me to shoot. I will be posting more detail on it. Comes with factory Colt Box, plastic, styrofoam, tag and docs. I was told Swvenson touched this but I called his nephew and together we decided that while the safety ambi-safety Was a Swvensen there were other items that were not present that would have cemented that as fact. When I spoke with his nephew he told me that his uncles number one selling part was the ambi-safety.

These are the notes that I was sent by the last owner:

"I have a Colt Mark 4, Series 70 Government model that has been highly customized (Sims, Cogan), here is a short list of what has been done: it has a hard chrome finish, custom ambi safety, Beaverton checkered front strap, fitted bushing, tightened slide to frame fit, dove tail sights, bobbed hammer.

The "Sims" is Bob Sims of Bob's Custom Firearms in Palmetto. Bob is well known regionally for his 1911 work. If you have gun smiths that you frequent, they will probably know him.The pictures are proof of most of the features I referenced ( such as front strap and mainspring cover checkering/LPI, extended mag release, dovetail sights, custom ambiisafety, safety grip/beavertail... look at a stock Colt Mark 4 and its price, and you will appreciate the extent and quality of the upgrades)There were three or four smiths names that were etched on the slide when I bought it. I don't recall and didn't recognize any of the others except Swenson, that one stood out. The others I wasn't familiar with. But Bob Cogan recognized a couple when he saw them. So I can't say with any certainty who did exactly what. I had all the names removed when I had it refinished to clean up the looks. The work done during that era was, Swenson ambi safety and bobbed hammer, checkered front strap, checkered mainspring housing added, lowered/flared ejector port, beveled mag well, extended beaver tail. The barrel may be changed but I don't recall the stamping. Sorry, I don't know matter of factly who did what except the work I added.

Bob Sims tightened the slide to frame fit, refitted the barrel bushing and made the safety more crisp, my preference. It was a little soft. Bob Sims did the most significant shooting accuracy work as far as I was concerned.
Bob Cogan's Team at Accurate Plating and Weaponry fit the dove tail sights, and refinished the gun in hard chrome."​

Trades: High end ARs, other Colts in 38 Super, nice revolvers, FN 5.7, SIGS, HKs, Springfields, Cash or Gold Coins at market value. No hunting rifles or bird guns please.

Pictures:
img_0669-jpg.1073927

img_0668-jpg.1073928

img_0521-jpg.1073931

img_0519-jpg.1073934

img_0523-jpg.1073936

Back
Top Bottom