Fun with Primers and Brass

Clarke123

Default rank <4500 posts
Love Them UGA Dogs!
196   0
Reaction score
WAS: Cumming, GA NOW: Punta Gorda, Florida
A recent thread on progressive reloaders was interesting in that sizing and priming were usually treated as separate steps. This is what I do. Primarily, because they are usually the "problem children" of a smooth reloading process.

Brass preparation is essential to all reloading processes: an unswaged primer hole, untrimmed brass, Glock Bulged brass, split case mouths .... ALL Lead to PROBLEMS!

So, today I am down at my work bench prepping 100 cases of .45 Colt brass that I bought "pre-prepared" ... what could go wrong? ... Straight walled cases that head-space on the generous rim; a 100+ year old design that hasn't changed; dozens of powders available for loading ...

Well, there are some problems to encounter:

1) a 454 Casull cartridge in the mix
2) Several Hornady "Lever-Action" cases in the mix (they are shorter than the norm)
3) A case that has a "half-fast" swagged primer pocket that could seat a small Pistol Primer about 1/8" below the case base ... but .45 Colt isn't made to accept a small ... WTF!

I'm catching these as I use my micrometer that has been preset to 1.285
I'm catching these as I use my Lee Hand Primer Tool ... I'm also noticing that Federal Large Pistol Primers do not fit into S&B brass ?! "Primerous Interupptus" !

So, I puzzle through the S&B P-hole problem and find that a S&B primer fits a little tight but "OK" .. I am also noticing that Winchester Brass is a "tight-fit" for any and all primers.

So, what do you think these problems would precipitate in a progressive loader?

No need to answer: I already know ... That's why Brass Preparation is essential to any reloading process whether "progressive" or "step-by-step".

Happy Independence Day to All!

' Bout sums it up preparation, preparation, preparation, and more preparation...

Really dislike the new .45 small primer hole pockets also, it can cause a master disaster in a matter of just moments...

' Bout sums it up preparation, preparation, preparation, and more preparation...

Really dislike the new .45 small primer hole pockets also, it can cause a master disaster in a matter of just moments...

EXCELLENT POINT!

It would be nice to be able to standardize on a single primer type, but a hundred years of brass is a lot to sort through!
That and the real PITA just one can cause at reloading time ....

I do not reload for a living, it is a hobby. Pre sorting and prepping brass is part of it.

I actually like the small primer 45acp , as it is my favorite to use at commercial ranges where I can not recover much of my brass.

Back
Top Bottom