• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Function Or Grip Comfort-Which Is Most Important?

Mirvin 264

Eagle Icon Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
440   0
Reaction score
Been wondering about this lately....... When trying to settle on a handgun for EDC/self defense, which would be most important in helping make your decision, how comfortable it is to grip/handle, or that it is a functionally dependable handgun (according to what you have heard/read about)? This is when choosing a weapon that you have no previous "hands on" experience with- Chime in about what you guys think, because sometimes it's difficult to find both in a particular piece that suits everybody, and we all have opinions that can be all over the map! For me it's how it feels when being gripped by my LARGE hands......... All else is an afterthought to me!

Hand fit is the first consideration to look at when selecting a gun for self-defense.... but not at the expense of reliability.

A gun intended for self-defense should be as close to 100% reliable as possible.
It most go "bang" very time you pull the trigger.

Myself & every Instructor I've ever known agrees on this without exception.
There are many, many designs in all kinds of different sizes that have proven themselves reliable so there shouldn't be any need to settle on one that isn't reliable or reasonably comfortable in the hand.
Occasionally one has to be broken in or at worst tuned by a gunsmith or returned to the factory but if it cannot be made to be reliable then it at least should only be used in a non-defense capacity.

Last edited:
Hand fit is the first consideration to look at when selecting a gun for self-defense.... but not at the expense of reliability.

A gun intended for self-defense should be as close to 100% reliable as possible.
It most go "bang" very time you pull the trigger.

Myself & every Instructor I've ever known agrees on this without exception.
There are many, many designs in all kinds of different sizes that have proven themselves reliable so there shouldn't be any need to settle on one that isn't reliable or reasonably comfortable in the hand.
Occasionally one has to be broken in or at worst tuned by a gunsmith or returned to the factory but if it cannot be made to be reliable then it at least should only be used in a non-defense capacity.

Nuff said!

A gun (or knife) has to feel right in your hand for you to be comfortable and confident in it. A proper feel will empower you while an ill fit will cause doubt and hesitation.

Back
Top Bottom