• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Georgia elk

Like mentioned above, elk need a large range. I don't think GA has the availability for that needed space. Also, GA knows you can't tax elk and the revenue will take a few decades to balance out so there isn't really a drive to develop an elk habitat.

Could they? Sure. There are huntable populations in Pennsylvania, Kentucky, Missouri just had its first season. The herd in Tennessee is growing rapidly though I’m not sure if they have opened a season there yet. I would be pretty shocked if the Tennessee herd doesn’t stretch down into North GA in the next 10-20 years. That is without GA DNR introducing them. Elk do quite well in the Appalachian Mountains due to not really having predation as well as the abundant forage. The lack of elevation in the range allows for vegetation being readily available year round. Does GA DNR want to? I doubt it at the current time. Introduction or in this case re-introduction of a species can be very polarizing. I doubt they want the headache. If it naturally progresses that a huntable herd develops, I’m sure they will be quick to capitalize as I’m sure they would love the $$$.
Actually it’s just the opposite of what you said. Elk are grazers the same as cattle. Have you been to north Georgia lately? Not much room to graze. Crops are being grown in most of those valleys. Elk wouldn’t go over to well with farmers up there. They’re having that problem in NC with the elk leaving the national park. If you see an elk in Georgia shoot it, process it and eat it. DNR and the farmers will thank you

Actually it’s just the opposite of what you said. Elk are grazers the same as cattle. Have you been to north Georgia lately? Not much room to graze. Crops are being grown in most of those valleys. Elk wouldn’t go over to well with farmers up there. They’re having that problem in NC with the elk leaving the national park. If you see an elk in Georgia shoot it, process it and eat it. DNR and the farmers will thank you
Reminds me of the wolf situation out west. Its amazing what you can do if you learn to not post on bookface and/or run your mouth and keep a shovel handy.

Curious as to which part is the opposite of what I said?

Back
Top Bottom