Get Home Bags...Questions on specs.....Sourcing?

My get home bag that I keep in my truck is a some what cheep bag that you might buy for you kids, My thought is this, if its a get home bag, then should it not be a one time real use bag? Not to mention if you have a uber nice tactical bag, its a target for theft, and might make you target (more so that others) on your way home.

ok you got me. I'm going with the LAPD Gear back from ealier in this post. Once I get it packed out like I want it then I'll report back.

I bought a LAPG zombie bag from them. Lifetime warranty or some such. I used it as a EDC bag, carrying a few extra mags, compass, light, occasionally a pistol, never anything strenuous. It lasted about two months and the top ripped open. I called them about a return. They sent me a new bag. It sits unused because it's Chinese crap. I bought a Diamondback Tactical/LBT bag off ebay for $68.
http://lbtinc.com/bags-backpacks-packs/bags/small-courier-go-bag-c.html
It's not perfect as there its no small carry handle, just a shoulder strap, but it's got some great features like map pocket, waist strap, etc.

Then I was in my LGS and they had a Blackhawk Block in multicam for $75. http://blackhawk.com/Products/Bags-Packs-Tactical-Nylon/Bags-Packs/Tactical-Packs/Block-Go-Bag.aspx I liked the design and found it's full of molle webbing and puches (7 pouches that can be removed or reconfigured). They retail for around $200. I snatched it up the next day. It would hold a small SBR perfectly. It has four handles, stowable backpack straps, a lot of features for the money and it's well built. I usually steer away from Blackhawk, but this is the best bag I've had to include Lightfighter/ATS, Eagle, etc.

You a pretty good sized fella JLO. A 30lb pack on a 200+lb guy rides different that a 30lb pack on a smaller guy. Heck, you could carry a 60 lb pack and it not 1/3 of your body weight.
Do you still have that Fire Hawk in there? That is one of the coolest tomahawks I have ever seen

yes, I do still have the firehawk. I don't leave home without that thing.

great video on the firehawk

My get home bag that I keep in my truck is a some what cheep bag that you might buy for you kids, My thought is this, if its a get home bag, then should it not be a one time real use bag? Not to mention if you have a uber nice tactical bag, its a target for theft, and might make you target (more so that others) on your way home.

I suspect anyone traveling alone or in small groups will be a target regardless of your method of carrying gear. My goal is to have a bag that is as small as possible and still hold my essentials. Speed and fatigue avoidance are two of my priorities.

Honestly, I think if it's a SHTF thing, mostly everyone is going to be worried about getting home and getting to their families. I doubt in the first 24-48 hrs you will see robbing and mugging going on. maybe here and there but not widespread. after 3-5 days when food runs out and food stamps don't work, then you will need to worry about being on the road and getting robbed. but by then, you'll be holed up with family or your group strapped to the hilt.

something that just popped in my head is that, depending on your locale/distance from home, a handheld HAM radio that is pre-programmed with pre-designated LOs/repeater channels could be critical to updating that family of your ETA/mode of travel/headcount en-route (you may pick up stragglers that need you/you need to increase strength in numbers).

A family member has a UV5R and I have a slightly newer BF-F9. We were on a 4x4 trip and were monitoring traffic on a preselected channel within the group we were in. All comms were line of sight, no repeater. Some in the group had mobile units, and most had handhelds. I had bought a bigger antenna for mine. My radio picked up noticeably better/clearer than his. The are was very steep hills and there were 20 vehicles. At times the distance from the leader to the tail was over a mile, but you could still detect poor reception due to one guy on the down side of a mountain while the other was still coming up the other side.

With the same BF-F9, I listened to a bike race that was coming from Hwy 60 in Suches and headed up 129 towards Blairsville. At the time, I was just north of Gainesville on Hwy 365. It was rainy and cloudy. The channel was a repeater near Dahlonega. As a HAM novice, I was impressed with the reception at this distance in those conditions.

I say all that to say, it's worth the $30-60 for a pair of radios and to test them in your area for range, dead spots, etc. so that you know you can communicate with your group. It's worth the space in the bag.

BTW, I've charged mine once in 6 months, since the initial charge. When I charged it before the trip two weeks ago, it was still at 3 of 4 bars of battery life.

Back
Top Bottom