Get Home Bags...Questions on specs.....Sourcing?

A couple of "IMO's"
On the water filter, I'd previously questioned the Sawyer inline micro filter. I ended up buying one. It weighs near nothing and can be used or adapted to a number of container types to include inline on a camelback, typical water/coke bottles, adapted to use on a canteen, or with a straw right from the water source.

On the map, in the case of societal breakdown or any level of looting- DO NOT!! mark the destination on the map. If someone gets your kit, you may be sending them uninvited to your destination if you have it marked. Consider it from the view of the person that got your bag trough violence or trickery. They're stealing stuff so they probably don't have a kit other than what they took. Now they have a map from a well equipped victim and the map has a destination marked. They'll quickly work out that if you have this good gear with you, then where you're headed has more better supplies.

You can get some high calorie rations that are compact and have a relatively long storage life. I don't know that I'd leave them in the bag long term, but a few of them strategically placed in each location (desk drawer at work, glove box in the cooler months, in a drawer in the dorm room or apartment)
http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/s...mpaignId=T9F&gclid=CISo3vvcnc0CFUQjgQodHNcP3w

Great information, thank you.

I own a small Safety And Apparel company and am going to start sourcing and selling GHB's.

Wanted to ask this group of elite survivalists about what they like in a bag.

I am going to guess the top 3 needs are -

1. Cost.
2. Weight.
3. Durability.

Other Considerations......

Do you all care where it is made? USA? Canada? Mexico? India? China? Latin America?

(I am going to guess - China would be last. All the others are major textile suppliers and would be fine)

Color? - Tan- Black- Digital Camo?

Weight - >1-3 LBS? Total? Unloaded?

Do you like MOLLE Systems?

Size? Small- Med Large?

Material? Nylon Cordura? Canvas?

My goal is to keep this EXTREMELY simple.

THANK YOU !!!!

Stitching Quality counts!!
Flat Earth Tones colors
Non Standard Camo maybe Swiss Alpin or Luttwaffe Camo
Expandable - compression straps to make it smaller when not as full
Molle on inside ?
Padded Wide straps
Roll top? with a lid
Lash points

Great thread. What type of stuff would you put in a GHB? I'm thinking paracord, poncho, extra socks flashlight, extra batteries, canteen. I know I'm missing a lot.
I'm sure it's been said somewhere in this thread, I didn't read all 14 pages, but when I think of a GHB I think of "don't stop moving." So mine is pretty minimal. Extra food (crumbs-everywhere bars, etc.), some water, extra socks, flashlight, some paracord and a couple big ole trashbags to be used for shelter, poncho, etc.

I don't plan on stopping and if I do, it won't be for long, just long enough to rest for a bit before I continue. I have a lighter and a couple fire starting bricks if I need them, but don't intend on using them. In the time and energy it takes to make a fire and camp, I could be another couple miles closer. Just how I look at things, my $.02 and all that. Not to mention, I have a truck too so it'd have to be something fairly serious for me to ditch my vehicle.

I'm sure it's been said somewhere in this thread, I didn't read all 14 pages, but when I think of a GHB I think of "don't stop moving." So mine is pretty minimal. Extra food (crumbs-everywhere bars, etc.), some water, extra socks, flashlight, some paracord and a couple big ole trashbags to be used for shelter, poncho, etc.

I don't plan on stopping and if I do, it won't be for long, just long enough to rest for a bit before I continue. I have a lighter and a couple fire starting bricks if I need them, but don't intend on using them. In the time and energy it takes to make a fire and camp, I could be another couple miles closer. Just how I look at things, my $.02 and all that. Not to mention, I have a truck too so it'd have to be something fairly serious for me to ditch my vehicle.
Like being blocked in fore and aft by mindless scared waiting to be fleeced and eaten in the loafers?

I am using a modern buttpack with a shoulder strap, old school sling pack.
Forces me to go light, but that LA Police Gear pack with 2 straps would be more comfortable and roomy.

Like SJ mentioned, my GHB goes in a gym bag that has a complete change of clothes, essential "pocket" gear and extra bottles of water and Poweraide. This reduces the size of my GHB and combines it all into a non-descript gym bag.

Couple stray GHB thoughts:
- Have a "throwaway" wallet to put in your pocket.

- Less meals, more power bars/granola bars/etc....individually bagged items for snacking on the move, but also easy giveaways to someone in need of a kindness along the way.

- Extra commercially bottled water/Gatorade: store well. Drink one to start and fill my SS bottle.

i1368.photobucket.com_albums_ag164_andrisvc94_Mobile_20Uploads4a1a675f785f927ab9b53b6fb1a00db9.jpg
big fan of non painted stainless canteens and bottles like one in pic. great alternatives/additions for lifestraw.

imho with this particular bag there is not enough extra pockets that allow you to give out supplies. you take too much of a risk in exposure.

Back
Top Bottom