• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Glock Gen 3 vs Gen 4 Slide Finish (Yes, I have searched!)

Jin

Default rank <500 posts
Survivalist
46   0
Reaction score
I was fondling my Glock 17 Gen 4 today and noticed the odd slide finish. Not odd in a bad way but odd as in, 'its not the same as all the other Gen 3's I've had'. I quickly put it side by side with my EDC (Gen 3 Glock 19) and noticed a difference.

I ran a quick google search and came up to a few threads on GlockTalk and other sites but the threads were a year old and many had their opinions on why the slide finish is different. Nothing seemed to make actual sense and there was no general consensus.

The best way I could describe the Gen 4 finish for those of you who have not seen one is that its like a Gen 2 in color but more slick like the Gen 3 but not as slick.

To be completely honest, this new Gen 4 finish seems to be less durable than the Gen 3 slick deep black finish. I would assume Glock wouldn't put a worse finish than those on their older guns. Yes, I realize to some this thread may be pointless because Glocks are ugly when they're new and they're ugly when they're worn so slide finish won't make a difference. Hell, Glocks are meant to be ugly and reliable, much like that ugly girl you met when you were drunk and you call when you need some late night love because you know she'll pick up for sure.

I was hoping some of ya's can shed some light onto my question. Its hard to do drive-by's on player hating busters when my Glop finishes don't match. The color difference clash when I dual wield them. I enclosed a picture so you can see the difference.

i143.photobucket.com_albums_r139_JinKim710_IMG_0152.jpg

Last edited:
Oh by the way, if anyone knows which one is more durable and less susceptible to scratches let me know. I'd rather not scratch them to answer this question for myself.

I have several gen 3's with the same finish as your gen 4. I prefer the old shiny, black and slick finish but oh well. As far as which one is better? I have yet to determine that on my own.

I have noticed this as well, I wonder if it has anything to do with the gen 4 made in Georgia? I was at a local gun store and he was saying they arnt imported anymore that glock usa makes them.

I have noticed this as well, I wonder if it has anything to do with the gen 4 made in Georgia? I was at a local gun store and he was saying they arnt imported anymore that glock usa makes them.

I thought that might be the case also but I noticed in the 'Gun Review' section of the board, there is a gentleman who reviewed his US-made Glock with "USA" stamped on the slide as opposed to "Austria".

I think your gen 3 may have the tennifer finish. From what I have heard, though I'm not 100% on this, they did away with that finish because it could be hazardous to the people applying. But, I am almost positive that Glock has changed their finishes on their glocks in the past few years, even before the 4th gen glocks if what I have heard is correct. As far as durability, the tennifer is suppose to be harder, whether that is true or not I have no idea.

I think your gen 3 may have the tennifer finish. From what I have heard, though I'm not 100% on this, they did away with that finish because it could be hazardous to the people applying. But, I am almost positive that Glock has changed their finishes on their glocks in the past few years, even before the 4th gen glocks if what I have heard is correct. As far as durability, the tennifer is suppose to be harder, whether that is true or not I have no idea.

If I remember right, the tenifer is a treatment to the slide, not the finish. It was supposed to make the slide as hard as a diamond (how's that for marketing.) I think there was some kind of federal regulation that made it impossible to do in the states. My favorite Glock was a Frankenstein (put together with all mismatched parts, slide, barrel, frame) that the slide was in such bad shape (another story) that I took a green scotch brite pad to it and gave it the neckid treatment. Made the mistake of selling it. It was A G19 3rd gen with Trij's. I miss that gun.

Maybe somebody can remember the finish. I think it started with an "M" or maybe it was just phosphate.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom