Go **** yourself - interview questions

i interviewed with a national disaster restoration company about 15 years ago for an operations manager job. during the interview they handed me a box that had 2 sets of baby alphabet blocks in them (2 different sizes). They asked me to spell out the alphabet and I would be timed.
i used both style blocks and completed it quickly. The HR guy was amazed, he said no one in years had ever done that, they always used one style of blocks only.
he said i had creativity and adapted to situations quickly. He offered me the job on the spot. I declined it the next day, did not want to be on call 24/7 waiting for fires and floods!

Well, I give Excel tests to all of my applicants. Had someone who told me they were Excel expert. Gal pulled out her cell phone to add 3 numbers, instead of using a SUM. She was not hired.
And when they tell you they know pivot tables, 99% of them are lying. That's why I keep a kleenex box next to the test PC.

I know pivot tables. I'm not lying I made couple to track actual production vs. Planned production that are updated weekly. They're some of Microsoft's worst work, IMO. I always wanted to be a 1%er, I just didn't think it'd be pivot tables that got me there.

Well, I give Excel tests to all of my applicants. Had someone who told me they were Excel expert. Gal pulled out her cell phone to add 3 numbers, instead of using a SUM. She was not hired.
And when they tell you they know pivot tables, 99% of them are lying. That's why I keep a kleenex box next to the test PC.

Has anyone ever believed that's why you keep Kleenex there?

Has anyone ever believed that's why you keep Kleenex there?
They left my interviews crying.
I got tired of teaching people basic Excel skills. I am not asking folks to write a macro.
Just basic formulas, a couple of IF statements, and drop data/refresh an EXISTING pivot table.
I also watch you take the test and judge you on the type of questions you ask. I will answer any questions you have, but I will not volunteer information. I want people with good critical and research skills.

I wish l knew how to use it to it's full potential. It is a great program if you know what your doing. I have a friend that's an actuary, l have to call him regularly to help me

I miss Lotus... Excel has much more advanced features, but is much harder to use. Like having to put an equals sign in front of a formula (like 2+2)... it's a calculation. You're a SPREADSHEET. Calculate! If I wanted to show text (which would be very, very rare for a calculation), I'd throw quotes around it. Sheesh.

Or maybe there's some setting buried in there to fix that. If so, enlighten me.

i interviewed with a national disaster restoration company about 15 years ago for an operations manager job. during the interview they handed me a box that had 2 sets of baby alphabet blocks in them (2 different sizes). They asked me to spell out the alphabet and I would be timed.
i used both style blocks and completed it quickly. The HR guy was amazed, he said no one in years had ever done that, they always used one style of blocks only.
he said i had creativity and adapted to situations quickly. He offered me the job on the spot. I declined it the next day, did not want to be on call 24/7 waiting for fires and floods!

I interviewed for one of these companies not long ago and decided against it for the same reason. I may reconsider if they split the difference between what they offer and a doctor's salary.

Back
Top Bottom