• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Got a question on how to assemble/repair/maintain an AR?

Back when you could order a complete kit from Gun Parts Corp., and buy a PWA stripped lower, we used these to build up AR 15s in 1990-94, before the Clinton Ban. Those were $214 shipped and were US Military tear downs. Complete, but you had to assemble everything.

upload_2020-7-28_13-28-19.png

I don’t understand why some folks have an aversion to torquing their castle nut properly. It doesn’t take any longer to tighten it with a torque wrench than it takes to tighten with a regular wrench.

I understand some folks’ aversion to staking. I’ve heard all the excuses and sympathize.......I still stake my castle nuts, though.

If you just refuse to stake your castle nut for whatever reason, I highly recommend using Vibra-TITE VC-3 Threadmate. Certain collapsible braces are impossible to stake, so I use VC-3 on them instead.

I don’t understand why some folks have an aversion to torquing their castle nut properly. It doesn’t take any longer to tighten it with a torque wrench than it takes to tighten with a regular wrench.

I understand some folks’ aversion to staking. I’ve heard all the excuses and sympathize.......I still stake my castle nuts, though.

If you just refuse to stake your castle nut for whatever reason, I highly recommend using Vibra-TITE VC-3 Threadmate. Certain collapsible braces are impossible to stake, so I use VC-3 on them instead.
On my recent build, I used the PWS ratcheting castlenut and so far it hasn’t moved (hasn’t been ran hard either though). It’s a neat idea but was curious of your thoughts and/or experiences.

On my recent build, I used the PWS ratcheting castlenut and so far it hasn’t moved (hasn’t been ran hard either though). It’s a neat idea but was curious of your thoughts and/or experiences.

The purpose of the design seems to be for folks that are removing their castle nut now and again. I’ve found that the ratcheting feature gets “weaK’ after being installed, removed, installed, etc.

Back
Top Bottom