• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

grunting?

ClaytonBigsby

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
187   0
Reaction score
When is the best time to start grunting and using the can? I been doing it the last couple of days and nothing is happening I thought they should be starting to rut a little by now.

When is the best time to start grunting and using the can? I been doing it the last couple of days and nothing is happening I thought they should be starting to rut a little by now.

I always use the can when I grunt.....:)

Definitely now is the time to start grunting in addition to doe estrous bleats. The pre rut is on in my area.

The key to grunting is to not do it too often. Basically grunt once maybe every 30 minutes so you do not give away your position and get busted when they smell/see you. Deer are curious so if they are in the area they may come and investigate. Or you can do like I have done many times and scare the crap out of them so they run around disoriented not knowing where the grunt came from...

This time of the year try this. Hit a can call about 3-4 times with a second in between and then keep silent. Wait 10-15 minutes if nothing has shown up, hit the can call once, and grab your grunt tube (use young buck tone if you have it) and go hut, hut, hut into the tube with each lasting about 1/2 second and the same between them. Do hut, hut, hut about 10 times in a row and shut up. This will sound like a young, excited buck that has found a doe and usually will bring in any other bucks to check/challenge to situation. Don't make the grunt tube to sound like a mature buck or you will just scare almost all the bucks in the area. I've also had does come into the setup, guess they are checking out the local talent. BTW, Shot a 150lb buck doing this last night and didn't realize until it was too late that he had the local swamp donkey following him down the trail. Save the rattles for end of next week.

Or pick a better stand location... JK. Couldn't help myself. Anyway, I have never do any grunting. Out of the 5 deer I've killed (mind you, I've only been deer hunting like 3 years now), 3 have been bucks. I prefer to just sit and wait to see what comes around.

Or pick a better stand location... JK. Couldn't help myself. Anyway, I have never do any grunting. Out of the 5 deer I've killed (mind you, I've only been deer hunting like 3 years now), 3 have been bucks. I prefer to just sit and wait to see what comes around.

^^^This^^^

I have experimented with grunting, bleating and rattling through the years. I think you are just as likely to spook them as call them in. In fact, you are probably MORE likely to spook them. The only time I do any of it is when I'm hunting an area that I have not been able to scout well or if I am bow hunting and a deer is passing by out of range. Low grunting will occasionally bring them in closer.

I keep the grunt call around to stop deer so I can get a shoot on them.

Only luck I've had really actually using one is a fawn blunt and I've had does come screaming running like their baby was getting killed.

Back
Top Bottom