Gunsmith or Replace ??? suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

BkBigKid

Default rank <2500 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
240   0
Reaction score
Well here is the deal and I believe it to be my fault and absolutely nothing to do with Kel Tec as the gun ran awesome before I started using reloads.

My keltec PF9 lost its extractor shooting some of my reloads. I say it is my fault becasue I did not use a Buldge buster and the case were tight in the cylinder. Lesson learned and all cases will be run through one now.

So here is my dielima In Attempting to replace the extractor I have messed up the screw head to where it will have to be drilled out and possibly retapped. Also have a uh oh in the area as well. (Unkown cost right now)
Or do I go to the factory and buy a replacement slide brand new (with all parts) of a cost ot $82 and change for a identical Blued slide or can upgrade to a hard Chrome slide for $130ish?

Gunsmiths what is the normal charge for this as I have the replacement parts already. I have never had a gun at the gun smiths for any reason. (Knock on wood).

Whats your thoughts?

Last edited:
Taking an uneducated guess, I'd be betting on the blued slide being cheaper than parts and labor for a gunsmith. If you have been wanting a chrome slide this is the perfect excuse to take the plunge.

I have the parts aready.
Just need to know what the cost a gunsmith would charge. To remove a bad screw and put a new one in.

Reasonably $45-$60. Not too uncommon if a problem. Double check with Nate at Fort Daniel about doing it, I use to hate it when someone priced my work so please understand that's a very general quote.

How bad off is the screw? Sometimes you can take a hardened bit and place it on top of the screw, then lightly tap it with a hammer to seat it. If it's past that point, try to grab the screw head with diagonal cutters. Use caution so that you do not damage the area around the screw.

The screw is not nudging a bit. I have carefully cut a flat slot in it and used a impact screw driver on it and have also used heat! Keltec does use a form of locktite on these screws. I am guessing a little to much on this slide.

Either way I looking at spending close to the same amount. For the same or upgrading to a Hard crome slide for a some dollars more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom