• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

H&R 12ga Ultra Slug

Sure_Shot

Default rank <1500 posts
ODT Junkie!
72   0
Reaction score
Screenshot_2015-02-27-17-54-59.png
Anyone have any experience with one? Everything I've read online is positive. My LGS has the ultra light model but I'm hesitant to pick it up seeing a 12ga slug can be a handful. I'd prefer to have the standard heavy barrel. Anybody know where I could pick one up?

I've put a lot of slugs through the heavy barrel version. This thing is really a tack driver. I was shooting very nice groups at 100yds with it. (the longest range I had to work with at Charlie elliot range) I have no doubts accuracy will be maintained further out. Mine has a Nikon slughunter scope that is very nice. The barrel is THICK and HEAVY and it is not a light gun. But it is awesome. I highly recommend to anyone if you want to hurl large projectile with extreme accuracy. Be warned though, your shoulder will be sore. It's heavy and has decent padding but 3" slugs still take their toll on you. And you'll love it.
I got mine from Buds Gun shop.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I checked buds but they only have the ultralight. I'm concerned with how well the ultralight will hold up against the recoil. Hopefully I'll find the standard heavy barrel in stock somewhere

In my experience, those single shot shotguns all kick like a mule. So just be warned. I would definitely get the heaviest one I could find for recoil reduction.

I'm not too worried about recoil. More worried about how well the gun will hold up. Once I get the scope zeroed, it'll only be used for deer hunting so shot maybe twice a year. I have a Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 laying around I'm going to top it with.

I have two H&R's the slug gun and a 20gauge single shot. They are both very well built in my opinion. Everything locks up tight on both and seem to be able to hold up to abuse. I haven't handled the lightweight but I doubt it would be any different. I don't think you could harm them too much. Especially not just taking a few shots a year. Just my $.02

Well I can get my hands on the ultralight but I can't find the heavy barrel. I may just pick up the ultralight and be done with it.

My concerns as mentioned are with the lighter setup being as sturdy and able to withstand the recoil. Also concerned about the accuracy. I've read where the ultralights were having trouble grouping but they were old reviews. Maybe the problem has been resolved.

Back
Top Bottom