• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Ham radio question

2 meter will do a lot more than one thinks if you get a decent Mag Mount antenna with 4-5 DB gain. With that you should be able to easily hit repeaters in 20-30 miles of your location on 5 watts. I would expect the DLINK to go down if it got bad.

The easiest thing is you and the person you need to contact would ideally, be able to hit that same repeater such as calhoun.

Good luck its a great hobby!!

Ever thought about GMRS for family ? www.nggmrs.org. A network of linked UHF GMRS repeaters all across north Ga. and as far south I believe in Columbus. One GMRS license covers almost your entire family. A good group of folks over there, check them out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

The only way you can hit a repeater that is out of RF range is through a digital protocol. Echolink,DStar Fusion, DMR. I belong to TSARC we have the 145.350 hooked through the internet to the 146.640 so they repeat whatever the other hears. They are analog only we have them setup that way. No individual can link or unlink them. They are Echolink capable. So the repeater you cannot reach through RF you can see if it is Echolink capable, if so there is a free app you can use on your phone if you are a licensed ham. Hope this helps. I don't know everything guys but if I can help shoot me your questions. W4TDH Extra Class

How do I set up the repeater towers to talk long distance like I have one in Calhoun and there is one in fairmount . If my raido won't reach the fairmount repeater can I use the Calhoun repeater to reach it ? Would I have to put one on input and one on output ? Alsonhownwould I listen to the fairmount tower from Calhoun would it be the reverse of broadcasting to it?

Use a pair of link radios

Setting up a true repeater tower is not that easy. You have to have a repeater itself new one is around $1200, antenna, duplexers, power source coax to run up the tower. And it has to be registered with the Repeater coordinators that will assign you a frequency. Do even bother with trying to get a 2m freq. they are all used. If you can find the parts used it will cost you maybe $1200 to set up a 440 or a 220 repeater. new $2500. This is just a quick run over of what oil takes to set up a repeater. You can loose your license without going through the proper steps for a repeater.

Back
Top Bottom