• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Handyman gig

Discollector

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
Banned Permanently
13   0
Reaction score
The blower motor on the AC inside the house gave up the ghost and I need to get someone to help me change it out. The time consuming part is driving from Lawrenceville to Doraville to get the right motor. Fox Appliance said they have to look at the old one to get the right one.

Other than that, it's an hour job if you've ever done it... according to the articles I have pulled up. I live on disability due to an injury so I cannot afford to pay HVAC guys the kind of wages they get to go and get the part or wait on me to do it. But I could pay someone decently for their time. I'll even toss in a couple of boxes of ammo to boot. I'm sweating like a pig. And you need some travel money for the week-end.

The blower motor on the AC inside the house gave up the ghost and I need to get someone to help me change it out. The time consuming part is driving from Lawrenceville to Doraville to get the right motor. Fox Appliance said they have to look at the old one to get the right one.

Other than that, it's an hour job if you've ever done it... according to the articles I have pulled up. I live on disability due to an injury so I cannot afford to pay HVAC guys the kind of wages they get to go and get the part or wait on me to do it. But I could pay someone decently for their time. I'll even toss in a couple of boxes of ammo to boot. I'm sweating like a pig. And you need some travel money for the week-end.
Are you 100% sure it's the motor, and not just the capacitor?

Are you 100% sure it's the motor, and not just the capacitor?

I was told it was a blower motor and the guy gave me a price to replace it. But then his company started calling me on the phone, claiming I need a whole new system. They tried to tell me my circuit board was breaking down.

Problem with that, I used to build circuit boards. You cannot look at one visually and determine that it is about to break down and the only symptom I had was the blower motor quit running. Two years ago another AC repairman told me the blower was going to go out soon. He's since moved on. So, I'm betting blower motor. For the little in difference, I'd buy a capacitor too if I could get this thing fixed.

Look at the capacitor for swelling, leaking, or discoloration. If the start capacitor is bad, the motor won't start up. One can be had for $20 - $40.

The capacitor may not look bad even though it is

The motor starts up and runs - only very slowly and not pushing the cold air throughout the house. The air is cold; the outside blower works okay; the blower comes on, but with less than 15 percent of the force it had before this problem came up. It just don't push the air fast enough to cool the house down.

Back
Top Bottom