• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Handyman learning opportunities for boys?

Foxtrot Sierra

Default rank <4500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
204   0
Reaction score
ODT community… we live in athens, and have a couple boys, ages 16 and 13 (soon to be over the summer). They are very mechanical and love to work with their hands and learn new things. The older will be a sophomore in HS and has forever commented about wanting to learn metalworking and even forging (if possible), and the younger (going into 7th grade) is eager to learn anything. I have a very mechanical and technical job, but my job will not allow any such opportunities such as shadowing/apprenticing under any circumstances… my trade involves working on people and, well, I can’t even get professional students in to shadow or volunteer without cutting through rolls and rolls of red tape, if at all. Unfortunately, I am not anything of the home handyman sort as I’m always at work anyway.

Whenever anyone comes over to the house - tree/landscaping, plumbing, electrical work - my 12 year old is always up in their business (in a good way) and they are happy for him to help/learn and are always commenting on how intuitive he is with everything. He’s one of those “bored at school” kids that’s often found himself getting into mischief because of it.

I’m not sure what all exists out there, as it seems liability has eliminated so many things. I guess I’m looking for something akin of wood shop and auto shop opportunities that used to abound in schools, but seem to have all but disappeared completely. Someone with a home trade/hobby/business that wouldn’t mind passing along knowledge and skills to a younger generation would be exactly what I’m looking for. Wish my father-in-law lived closer as he does all him own home building and DIY handyman improvements/work, but that’s just another example of what we’re looking for.

Thanks in advance.

At 12 i was digging ditches and learning how to plumb. 15-18 I moved furniture for Alabama truck lines. By the time I joined the Army at 19 I could lift up a grown ass man off the ground with one hand. I was Ox strong. Double whammy though because I was intelligent and strong. I aced the ASVAB and DLAB and qualified for PSYOP.

Not that I like to brag or anything. ;) Ok maybe a little. :cool:

Mechanical son started at a local bike shop assembling bicycles as a summer job when 15. At the end of the summer they promoted him to tech. Worked Fridays after school and all day Saturday during school year. 5 days/week during the summer. They're gonna miss him when he goes to UT in the Fall.

Good luck in the search! Kids like these are going to be worth their weight in gold the way things seem to be going.

Who am I kidding? Any good electrician/plumber/mechanic/tradesman - and I mean GOOD - are worth their weight in gold and always have been!

Back
Top Bottom