Hard Cast Bullets?

zesty

Hen of Fame Lifetime Supporter
not fully clean
67   0
Reaction score
Anyone have any wisdom to share about hard cast bullets? I picked up some recently but don't know much about them. The bullets look like lead, no copper coating, but it's a lead alloy that is supposedly much harder than lead. From the little research I've done it sounds like they're used for hunting big game because they penetrate well.

What about their use as range ammo? Will the hardness wear the barrel more? Does the barrel clean as well as with copper coated bullets?

Any info or links would be appreciated. Thanks.

you're fine. cast depending on how hot they are loaded will lead the barrel. the faster the bullet the more leading it incurrs. it's a little harder to clean than shooting jacketed but not by much. no it doesn't wear the barrel down.

it all depends on the hardness of the bullet, so if you bought it factory i'm willing to put money down it's fine.

- - - Updated - - -

there's a hardness scale. burnell i think? read up on it. all lead bullets are a lead alloy so it's nothing special :) it's just the difference in alloys that make a difference.

The ones I have loaded and shot have a brinell of 15 if I remember correctly and are maybe 10% tin. Actually are good for hunting but may penetrate farther than a sp or hollow depending - check GA laws on using them though.

They are very economical to load vs hollows, vs rn or plated might not be as much price difference. Some use them for self defense.

there's a hardness scale. burnell i think? read up on it. all lead bullets are a lead alloy so it's nothing special :) it's just the difference in alloys that make a difference.

Yeah, it's Brinell. I think pure lead is around "5" and hard cast bullets range from 15-30 or so. I'm not sure where these land, I assume it's on the low end. I just looked up copper, it has a hardness of 35. That makes sense, it won't wear more than copper but there would be more fouling. I'll post up a review if what I have works well at the range.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom