Heads up if you buy conversions kits.....need to read.....

Troy Brown

Space Force Icon Super Lifetime Supporter 1
ODT Junkie!
47   0
Reaction score
Check your Ruger 10/22 model before you buy this kit.......

THIS IS JUST A SMALL RANT AND SMALL WARNING TO OTHER FUTURE PEOPLE CONCIDERING CONVERSION KITS FOR THE RUGER 10/22

Read this before you buy the archangel !!!

I love using those conversion kits from certain companies and such. Basically, pimps out a rifle or hand gun to look tactical/high-tech/etc…and have had wonderful success with ATI, SI, and a few others.
But after having done this quite a few times now, I finally got somewhat stumped this weekend.
Here a while back, I traded my 410 and 38 special for a Ruger 10/22 so I could do another conversion. The Ruger was actually brand spanking new. And I was very please with myself for the trade.
I went out, and got one of those standard Archangel conversion kits. You’ve probably seen them in Hand gunning Mag and Shooting Mag. Looks cool and all get out. I was looking forward to shooting this after I finished, then immediately pass it down to my children like I promised.
Well, last night (Sunday night), as my family sat down to watch Disney, I saw a chance to do this.
Pulled out the kit and read through the instructions just to get a idea how this is going to go together.
I got down a few steps and saw that I am going to be putting two of the parts in the oven. I said to myself, “Oh great, one of these types again dang nab bit! (I once literally melted a part once and ruined the kit! Some ovens get hotter than others. Guess I got one of those types….or I am just stupid like my brother says.)”
Ok…no problem. Those blow and are a pain in the ass handling hot crap, but I will do it….VIGANTLY THIS TIME.
SO, I kept reading. NO PROBLEMS….Lets’ rock!
Ok, now I start taking the 10/22 apart.
Right off the bat, I realize I have a serious problem.
Upon disassembly of the Ruger 10/22, they tell me to also remove both the front and rear sight for this type of conversion. NOW WAY A MINUTE….I am looking at this on this newer model and these appear to be welded very strongly onto the barrel. Im not going to be able to get these off without really screwing up this barrel!!! This blows!!
My only possible solution that I can think of at the moment is just start looking around the pawn shops and other used stores for an older model 10/22, or, I can spend about 175.00 to 225.00 on a aftermarket barrel.
I do wish they would have mentioned this in the advertisement before I went through this though. Kinda bites, but, maybe they did not know Ruger had made that modification. Don’t know really. And the project is not dead yet. I have faith.
I do not hold Ruger viable for this though. They put out an excellent product. And I love the 10/22.

BOTTOM LINE TO THIS IS JUST MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ONE OF THOSE OLDER MODEL 10/22’s BEFORE YOU START

Naww.....I'll just find another older model. I wanna keep it.....looks too cool to pass. HA! (I'm such a sucker for anything tricked out)

Back
Top Bottom