• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

If you use a Georgia navigable river, you are about to take it up the kiester.

That's horse hockey and while on the topic, I read some time ago that a couple of guy were trying to prove that the Chattahoochee was navigable all the way to Helen, so they followed the rules of determining navigability and got a ragt with a mule and provisions and posed it up the Chattahoochee to nacoochee valley. They followed the rules but the state didn't give in due to landowner claims.

The upper Flint is already considered non navigable in GA. Twice I've been ticketed by game wardens for "fishing without permission" because I parked my boat on a large flat rock and fished off the rock.

Twice I've pleaded non guilty to that charge and requested a trial, twice the charges were dropped. YMMV

Yep, a group of river front land owners here in Pike County have really raised a stink about people being on the Flint River north of the Sprewell Bluff area, specifically the Flat Shoals area, where local folks have for generations spent time wandering and fishing the rocks.

A pretty sad situation perpetuated by what appears to be out of town folks with money buying up the land and pushing for their own "private" river by making it difficult to access. They say all kinds of platitudes about being on the river is fine with them, they're not against recreational use of the river, etc... but their actions of complicating river access clearly show the opposite.

The local government here has done diddly squat about these folks piling a wall of rocks at a historic access point a few hundred yards from Flat Shoals and calling the wall of rocks a "drive way" to their river front subdivision...

I think they got away with it because one of the owners is an attorney and they figured out a way to file a temporary lease agreement for the "driveway" with the subdivision developer who still held the deed to the common areas.

I stopped digging into it as one particular land owner (the attorney I think) was pretty vicious in a passive way with their responses to any criticisms and I didn't want to deal with it or become a target.

Yep, a group of river front land owners here in Pike County have really raised a stink about people being on the Flint River north of the Sprewell Bluff area, specifically the Flat Shoals area, where local folks have for generations spent time wandering and fishing the rocks.

A pretty sad situation perpetuated by what appears to be out of town folks with money buying up the land and pushing for their own "private" river by making it difficult to access. They say all kinds of platitudes about being on the river is fine with them, they're not against recreational use of the river, etc... but their actions of complicating river access clearly show the opposite.

The local government here has done diddly squat about these folks piling a wall of rocks at a historic access point a few hundred yards from Flat Shoals and calling the wall of rocks a "drive way" to their river front subdivision...

I think they got away with it because one of the owners is an attorney and they figured out a way to file a temporary lease agreement for the "driveway" with the subdivision developer who still held the deed to the common areas.

I stopped digging into it as one particular land owner (the attorney I think) was pretty vicious in a passive way with their responses to any criticisms and I didn't want to deal with it or become a target.
You summed it up perfectly. Eff them and eff their riverfront subdivision.

Back
Top Bottom