headspace or what???

loadnplenty

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
197   0
Reaction score
I went shooting today and with some handloads and was curious about what yall think. Somes cases have a bulge at the bottom and some don not. This occured on and off with different powder charges. Some minimum and some max, so that kind of made me say it was not preasure. Also the primers and lettering all look good. After first detecting this I started pulling my brass out carefully so as to find the spot it was coming from. It seems as thought it is coming from the bottom.

Any thoughts or suggestions. As of this post I have not tried sizing the brass to see if the bulge will come out or not and still have salvageable brass.

Bolt action rifle, I spoke with Tomthumb on the phone and determined it was not the headspace but sounds more like a large chamber

Bolt action rifle, I spoke with Tomthumb on the phone and determined it was not the headspace but sounds more like a large chamber

Yep, That is exactly what it sounds like. I recomend having it rechambered in a slightly larger case diameter hopefully using a caliber that can use the same bolt face and caliber of bullet or rebarelled.

What caliber is it?

Yep, That is exactly what it sounds like. I recomend having it rechambered in a slightly larger case diameter hopefully using a caliber that can use the same bolt face and caliber of bullet or rebarelled.

What caliber is it?

338-06 Ackley Improved, I have sent an email to E R Shaw who I just got back from in October. I will see what they first.

It groups really good. I haven't experimented much but it is shooting under an inch with nosler 180's pushed by 57.5 grains of IMR 40-64

New brass? Uniformly sized and trimmed from the same lot? If not, maybe symptoms of separation from fatigue? What's the life history of this brass?

new unfired brass, started out as 35 whelen, neck sized down to where the 35 neck held brass tight in chamber, fireformed using bullseye and tp, neck sized again to remove old primer, brass has only had one actual bullet shot from them. Brass is tight in chamber even when bullet is not present

Back
Top Bottom