• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Help getting into law enforcement..

Rbs

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
47   0
Reaction score
Just to make things short and quick...

I am currently 23 years old and I am 1st year in at a community college for a AS degree in computer networking. The past few weeks I have been considering what do I really want and I honestly have been pondering the idea of getting into law enforcement. The idea of helping the community is appealing to me vs probably sitting in an office all day.

The question is though.. where do I start? Those that are officers what is it like being an officer? I guess its a mid-life crisis for me as I'm afraid of finishing college and end up doing something I absolutely hate thats provided I even find a job in that field. Thoughts and advice? :confused:

I have no insider knowledge, I just applied to a lot of the open positions, this was back in 09. I will say that there are hundreds of YOUs out there thats going to be going after the same job. When I applied for Cobb County there were A LOT of people in the Civic Center taking the test. I know military experience will help but maybe someone in the field can shed light on what else is good. I'm sure a degree in criminal justice won't hurt either if you're already in school.

Apply in multiple jurisdictions. Better money in larger departments and more exposure to all aspects of law enforcement. Hard to explain what it's like to be a police officer as everyone is different. I loved the job and the work and I did not allow it to affect my personal/family life.

I went to school for criminal justice but in all honesty I don't think a crj really means anything these days. Most law enforcement agencies "will" hire people with no experience because most things you'll learn at the academy anyway. I say will in parenthesis because they can hire you with no degree, but like lazarus said there are many people like you who want the same thing so its not as common.
I know most of the county and town agencies down here only pay you a few thousand more dollars a year start off for having a degree, so in my opinion its not worth it to have the degree unless you are going to a federal agency where its required. Being that I was in the army, I get 5 points on any county test I take as far as I know. but once you use the points and pass the test you can't use them again. you can opt to not use them and save them for a promotion test too. If you really want to be an officer, try out NYPD, they are always taking people, they get paid great, and they get some of the best training. So if you want to help the community try there, Im from NY and I think every 1 out of 1 person there is crazy and could use some help every now and again.

since you have a degree in computer networking, you could continue that path and work for a federal agency like the FBI or CIA. They prefer people have degrees like that over other criminal justice related degrees, especially these days with computer crime on the rise. So if FBI suits your need for idea of law enforcement then id say go for that...you already have a marketable degree for it.

this is just my opinion and advice, I got most of my info from the websites and speaking to officers and agents since this was my intended career path.

Computer related accredited degrees would be a much better route these days. If you just get an AS, apply often to local, state agencies and finish your degree while you work as quickly as you can. Federal law enforcement pays far, far better than any other.

ETA: I'm not a LEO but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express and work/train with multiple and was married to a stinking federale.

Just to make things short and quick...
I am currently 23 years old
I guess its a mid-life crisis for me

Mid-life crisis at 23??? :lol:

I see a giant billboard on my way to work saying Gwinnett PD is hiring. Have you inquired with them?
Atlanta PD seems to always be hiring as well.

BTW, I'm not a LEO but did interview with DNR when I was about your age for a Ranger (Game Warden) position!

Mid-life crisis at 23??? :lol:

Just trying to figure out what I'm gonna do for the rest of my little life! :cool:

When your always around people that ask and talk about what their gonna do and where their gonna go and blah blah it makes you think about what your gonna do yourself :dizzy:

Back
Top Bottom