• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Help w/ S&W 19-4 grip selection

lftd&pwrstrok'n

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
Sith Dark Lord
247   0
Reaction score
I recently traded into a S&W model 19-4 revolver and want to replace the factory grips. I don't know enough about revolvers to know anything about changing the style or feel of the grips; so, I am just going to stay w/ the factory style grip, but looking for a different color. The grips on it are a medium to dark brown and I want something w/ a little red to them (like a cocobolo). Anyone know where to start looking for replacement grips? I have been scouring the internet, but haven't found anything yet. Thank you in advance for any help.

There are many options for your M19-4. Whatever style or feel you choose, save the factory wooden grips. They are hard to replace. I suggest that you go to e-bay and look for S&W K frame grips. You did not state the barrel length. If it is a 4" or longer barrel, square butt K frame grips will fit. If it is a 2.5" barrel, round butt K frame grips will fit. If you like the cocobolo grips, I suggest you start looking at Ahrends. But again, there are many options from not very expensive to very expensive. Good luck finding what you like.

Thank JWC, it is a 4". I have a set of cocobolo grips on my 1911 and think the reddish color would look good against the blue of the revolver. I will check out Ahrends and see what they offer. I got this revolver because it is the same model as the very first gun that I bought 21 yrs ago, but sold when times got tough. Holding on to it this time.

Thank JWC, it is a 4". I have a set of cocobolo grips on my 1911 and think the reddish color would look good against the blue of the revolver. I will check out Ahrends and see what they offer. I got this revolver because it is the same model as the very first gun that I bought 21 yrs ago, but sold when times got tough. Holding on to it this time.
Hang on to it. The M19-4 was the last model that was pinned and recessed. Great pice. If you are going to hang on to it, and want to dress it up, Keith Brown grips are very nice, and so are Kurac grips, made my John Culina. Here is a pic of a set of Keith Brown grips, but not in cocobolo, and a pic of some John Culina grips in cocobolo. Again, spend as little or as much as you want. In my opinion, expensive does not necessarily mean better. It is all about the feel.

Keith Brown
i49.tinypic.com_23nr44.jpg

Kurac
i50.tinypic.com_2wezbmh.jpg

I do wish you luck. Just remember, cocobolo wood will darken as it ages. I do not find that to be a problem, but you might.

I do wish you luck. Just remember, cocobolo wood will darken as it ages. I do not find that to be a problem, but you might.

Thanks, I am going to send you a PM and if you don't mind, take a look at the auction and see what you think a fair price for these grips would be. Just don't outbid my broke ass please. LOL

Back
Top Bottom