• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

HELP!!

Stuckon22

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Look a Man Straight in His Hairy Eyeball!
238   0
Reaction score
Need an assessment on this guys. Colt's PT FA May 29, 1883 Patent, .22 long Rifle. Cannot find anything as to value or any others available. Any help with valuing would be appreciated. Thanks, Stuckon8

Attachments

• colts rifle 1.jpg
    colts rifle 1.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 44
  • colts rifle 3.jpg
    colts rifle 3.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 42
  • Colts rifle.jpg
    Colts rifle.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 39
you should have posted asking for info by it's name "colt lightning magazine rifle"...... rare piece even having so many made, nearly 90,000 in rimfire alone. for years no one was ever interested in the rim fire models. I think mostly because they all had rusted, pitted or worn out barrels.... they date from when black powder .22 ammo was common.... check the barrel of this one carefully.... if it's good be very suspect as many have been re-lined. and a good re-line job is almost impossible to tell. last rim fire lightning I saw was a good thirty years ago.... I think most once wore out were pounded in the ground and used to tie the dog or goat to..... just being honest. I remember seeing them in pawn shops for $20. but by the late 1980's people started looking at them as a collectable.... they couldn't afford the more desireable .44-40's so made do with what they could afford. I always thought the rim fire model should have been the most desirable as it would be very usable...... you want to know value, a .44-40 goes for $3,000. and up..... a rim fire model the prices are all over the board... a lot of fraud goes on with them... as I said beware of ones with a good bore..... if the bore is trashed then you got some leverage to get it at the price you desire. got to ask what's it worth to you? if the bore is trash as most.... then me, I'd reline it and have a real head turner at your bbq's and none of them will ever know LOL

I found 2 online, one was listed as "invaluable" and it was in great condition, the other one was 1700. Have had it a long time, never fired it, bluing is gone, action is tight and it cycles well. It is a neat piece. Thanks for the input fifth!

Back
Top Bottom