Here we go: 9mm vs. .45 ACP

Rush_Fan

Default rank <1250 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
162   0
Reaction score
Just trying to stir the pot a little :p

With recent developments in the last decade or so in reliably expanding hollow point ammo it seems that 9mm may be the better choice. It's cheaper and at least as widely available as .45; has smaller, more concealable platforms and/or higher magazine capacity; has manageable recoil; and there are probably more weapons chambered for it. However, one thing I read somewhere occurs to me: A 9mm bullet may expand but a .45 won't shrink.

Being an old drag racer I say "There is NO replacement for displacement.
Bigger is always better... that being said sometimes it is not practical to carry the big bore. The easier choice is a smaller caliber platform for carry concealment.
The real question is if you KNOW you will be in a gun fight which bore do you want?

I saw a quote the other day that said "carrying a weapon should not be comfortable...It should comforting!"

What it comes down to for me is the cost of practice. I can get a 50 rd box of federal for $9.50 in 9mm, and $16.50 for .45. Shoot a couple hundred rounds it adds up.

This is tough. If it is a true self defense situation where I'm going to get one or two shots off on a single attacker, nothing would beat a .45.
If I was trapped somewhere during a major shootout, capacity would mean the most to me. As long as I can get any combat effective hit, I would be happy.

Back
Top Bottom