Highway miles?

yellowhammer

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
16   0
Reaction score
Seems like most of the for-sale vehicles only have "highway"miles.The first thought that comes to mind is that the owner is a traveling salesman,or something along that line.No problem,but when someone says"highway miles",and then tells me that the highway is the hour or so he spends on I-85 or whatever,going to work each day,then it ain`t really highway miles.Highway miles going to and from Atlanta is start-and-stop,idling,etc.,same as a cop car.Be honest,guys.Save me a phone call.

Highway miles is just a way to make the car sound better. Even if the person drove 80% on the highway, you still don't know how they drove & if they kept up with basic maitnence. One person driving 55mph compared to another that drives 80mph will have a big effect on the engine. That & how they drove in stop & go traffic. Ever see those people that speed up to cover 50yds only to slam on their brakes?

If you do buy a car with over 150k miles on it, just be sure that your fine with spending 1500$ in repairs if something does happen to brake. At that point most cars at the breaking point, either it being a $30 part or a whole transmission.

Oh, one more thing. Make sure you know the vehicle your buying into or at least do research before a major repair. I had a few shops tell me I needed a whole new engine on my '04 Ranger with 200k miles. It turned out it only needed a right head replacement. Most places won't even take a head off to inspect it so expect to try a few before taking a shops word on it. My truck made it to 226K miles before a drunk driver rearr ended me at a read light. Thankfuly my insuance paid out nicely & covered my cost of the truck & all repairs i'd made to it(I got it real cheap w/180k miles on it). Kinda sucked though since I really wanted to see 300k miles on that thing.

Back
Top Bottom