Hog hunting, My first time.

madmarinehays

Marines Icon Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
268   0
Reaction score
So I am lucky enough to go hog hunting on a very large, private property with a couple of friends. I am very proficient with fire arms but, I have never been hog hunting before. I am thinking of running my ar15 or my ak47. I am leaning to the 7.62x39 but am not sure. Should I use any special ammo for this or will FMJ steal cores do? Also I am thinking for bring a 1911 .45acp with me just as a backup side arm weapon. Thoughts, ideas, suggestion?

Depends. When are you going? If there is a current hunting season running, then you are required to use whatever firearms are legal for use during that season. If not, then nearly anything goes but I would use expanding bullets. Not sure but I believe fmj are not legal to hunt with.

Depends. When are you going? If there is a current hunting season running, then you are required to use whatever firearms are legal for use during that season. If not, then nearly anything goes but I would use expanding bullets. Not sure but I believe fmj are not legal to hunt with.

Where did you get that info on certain firearms being used on pigs because of in season game ?

Last edited:
Look at the Hog Hunting Postings ... real life stuff...

I believe that the professionals in South Georgia use AR15's with 75 GR ... and kill the heck out of them.
Insomuch that they make a living doing this, have $4k NV Optics on them, I have to give them some credit for knowing what they are doing

Where did you get that info on certain firearms being used on pigs because of in season game ?

Ok, evidently I was citing something that I had been led to believe but is apparently wrong. I just checked the regs and see nothing about "incidental" game. My apologies. I plan to look into this further just to make sure but it may be WMA rules.

Ok, evidently I was citing something that I had been led to believe but is apparently wrong. I just checked the regs and see nothing about "incidental" game. My apologies. I just checked and see no restriction of weapons on private property. It is on National Forest land that there are weapon restrictions.

Back
Top Bottom