• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Trying to get into hog hunting North GA

peytonwitt

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
4   0
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am trying to get into hog hunting in the north GA mountains (Jasper and up). Anyone got advise on how to get into it? Any hunters up here willing to show me the ropes? Thanks!

Some of the WMA's have big hogs. Swallow Creek, Cohutta, formerly Pine Log.

It's much harder to find them in the mountains than the swamps in South Georgia. They're in there though.

Going during deer season is a mess, there's so much pressure on the already skittish hog population that you'll rarely have a chance of seeing one in the daytime.

Cohutta has huge hogs and lots of them, but getting a hog out of that mountainous terrain is an absolute mission.

In order to increase your success rate I wouldn't hesitate to look South. I hunted the North GA area for years before giving up and hitting the swamps.

Thank you for the info! & yes it sounds like a lot getting them out of Cohutta. I guess the best option would be a WMA down south right?

That's been my experience. I've spent days and days walking up and down mountains seeing signs, but never hogs. Last hog I shot down south I found within 30 minutes of walking. I'll never hunt up North again.

The best advice I have is to look for a hunting club with a lot of land and hogs, a good group of hunters should share information with you. If your doing public land read a few articles on GON on Georgia WMA hog hunting. People who Hog hunt public land are very secretive.

Hogs come and go on public land, and they also get periodically trapped by DNR as well. Point being, any WMA can go from hot to not very quickly. If you want to get into hog hunting, simply pick a WMA and walk a lot. If there’s no fresh sign, then pick another WMA. There really is no secret formula on public. Hogs are where you find them. So put yourself on a WMA with verifiable sign, walk a lot, and then walk some more, and with a little luck, you may connect. Scout in the off season to see what animals do when not under pressure.

Back
Top Bottom