Home Solar System

EducatedHelp

Default rank <500 posts
Survivalist
15   0
Reaction score
I am interested in setting up a home solar system. Price - reliability and expansion are all big considerations.

Does anyone have a recommendation regarding types of systems - where to purchase panels and batteries? Any other words of wisdom?

If it makes sense to do a group purchase - is anyone else interested?

I've worked on a couple of houses that had solar systems installed including adding wind turbine generators to a pre-existing system. Most fire departments and power companies would prefer that you install a co-gen system that syncs with the incoming power and not have batteries in the structure at all. Solar panels are expensive, require quite a few to generate power, and will never replace the capacity of utility power.

I've started to get into installs as an alternative a couple of times and felt like the expense was not worth it as a sales point nor does it meet the expectations of the customer.

I was reading somewhere that some systems require that your connected to the grid so if the grid goes down, they wont work. Guessing you need it wired just to power what you use (and store excess).

Are you doing it for self sufficiency or to reduce bills in the long term?

I was reading somewhere that some systems require that your connected to the grid so if the grid goes down, they wont work. Guessing you need it wired just to power what you use (and store excess).

Are you doing it for self sufficiency or to reduce bills in the long term?

That's probably to keep from back feeding the utility system.

Keep in mind the maintenance. We went over solar panels extensively in my electrical engineering classes. Every couple of months the actual panels will have to be cleaned to remove film that collects from weather. Also, the cells have to be inspected regularly to make sure the soldered joints are still intact. If not, you'll have to re-solder. Also, you'll need a battery bck up system to store the actual power otherwise it'd just go to waste.

It's not as cost effective as I'd like it to be right now, and the technology isn't quiet up to par unless you plan on sinking a considerable amount of money into it and are willing and able to do the required maintenance.

I believe that it takes upwards of 20 panels to go off grid and such a system is upwards of $20k.

With a grid tie system you can add panels as you can afford them and when you have enough that you make more electricity than you use (generally during peak sun time) the electric corp in your area will pay you for that electricity. With a grid tie system you must have an automatic cut off thing installed (I forget what it is called) that prevents your system from sending power to the grid during an outage so you dont electrocute the local electic linemen.

A friend of mine designed his own system for his 2 room cabin..... it was around $10-15K.... He has a generator in case the batteries are drained..... it kicks on automatically. I don't think he maintains it as often as mentioned in previous comments.... If you are really into this... I will get the details..... PM me with specifics.....

Back
Top Bottom