• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Honest Question About Panic Pricing, no Trolling

BimmerDawg

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
10   0
Reaction score
All,

I've been on this board for a few months now and have been a part of seven transactions now and have LOVED my time here, but I have an HONEST question, and am NOT trying to stir the pot, I sincerely want to know the answer:

Why are used guns here priced MORE than what I can buy them for at my LGS? I understand the AR-15 pricing two months ago as everyone thought the government was going to take them from us, but that's obviously not happening now. Why is a Springfield XDs priced $50 more than I can buy it NEW from my LGS? Why is an Bushmaster Carbon or DPMS Oracle $200 more than what my LGS has it for (and in stock)?

Anyway, I swear I'm not trying to get people riled up as a long-time car forum guy I dislike internet drama more than anyone, but I seriously don't understand. Is it still public perception that guns aren't in stock anywhere? Is it people wanting anonymity in their purchases, so that Big Brother doesn't know?

I'm sure a lot of them were purchased over the last 4 months and they are trying to minimize their looming loss. And yes, some folks are still willing to pay 'extra' rather than do a little homework trying to source what they want.
Having said that, "listed" is one thing. "Sold" is quite another. :)

It hasn't always been that way here.There has been a large number of new members come here to make a buck.Hopefully soon since the vote to ban,background checks have failed we might see prices go back to normal.

New people asking ridiculous prices - Flipping guns and ammo mostly. Most of the guns are not selling at those prices though.

The lack of paperwork may be why some people are here, but I would not pay more than new prices for a used gun.

Keep your eyes open and be ready to jump when there is a good deal - it will not last long.

WELCOME

OP, I think it's a legitimate question. I've looked on here for months for my first gun, but it just doesn't make any sense to me why I'd buy a gun from a stranger who isn't going to give me any kind of refund if the gun is defective. I guess you can thank Obama for making everybody paranoid about buying a gun from a store. I'm not bashing anyone selling, if you can buy a gun, use it and sell it to some sucker for the price of a new one, more power to ya. Just not going to be me.

I'm using the classifieds primarily to locate ammunition, and although I'm new I see half the sellers are selling ammo (which is a struggle to find) at decent rates, where they only make a couple bucks, and the other half are gouging. I'm not paying $100 for 100 rounds of FMJ .223. However, that is the same thing with any online selling market, HELL! Any market in General! Patience and research is the key! ;)

The reason the prices are high in most cases is because the gun is not readily available at the LGS and people are willing to pay more to get what they want.

Take the Glock 19 as an example. They were extremely hard to find and were easily selling for $600 to $700 just 2 weeks ago. That same gun has flooded onto the retail market and can be had in just about any LGS for normal retail prices. Guess what, they are not selling on here for much more than retail if at all. The XDS is a similar example.

Now, take the Shield 9mm. This is still quite hard to find and it is still demanding a premium here on ODT. It is a simple matter of supply and demand. Demand is high and supply is low which makes the price high.

As far as the guns that are readily available at the LGS and still priced high here? Well, some people are just not that smart!

Patience is key. Don't buy over priced stuff from anyone or anywhere. Enough Patience and you will find it at a reasonable price. I really do not care for the gougers. I am inclined to name names but since this is not my site I will in fact decline.
I much prefer the Dave Ramsey method. Never pay full price.

Back
Top Bottom