• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

how much did you make per hour at

First real job was at McDonald's in Douglasville this would have been around 78-79 seems like the minimum was 235 but I can't remember for sure. Were there about four months one night at had enough and told the manager to shut up. That ended my fast food career for life. Went from there to a Lumberyard making 120 week 6 days. Then, to a rock quarry work my way up to about 1650 an hour. More management problems. When on the road moving furniture. So all of this great nation part of Canada and peeked into Mexico. Worked on commission biggest two-week paycheck was over ten Grand. Let that go got a County job worked up to 19 an hour and retired.
Here's something else I had thought of it one time. Are we really better off now some people ask. Well, back in the early 80s I work for a glass Warehouse on Fulton Industrial. After my dad passed I was going through some of his old papers and found one of my pay stubs. I was making $4 an hour and I remember gas being right at a dollar a gallon. I had a gas account at a local station and his pumps wouldn't do a dollar a gallon so you had to rig them to do 50 cents a half gallon. So the math on that was 25% of my pay was the cost of gas. My last per hour job was $19 an hour and gas is around a dollar and a half to $2 a gallon.

I made good money. The year was 1977, I was 12.
I lived at a lake with tons of summer tourists.
There were lots of ducks at the lake, so many that they had to be fed during the winter so they wouldn’t starve. And during the summer the tourists were always coming into the nearby store buying bread and other stuff for their kids to feed the ducks.
So I started buying 50 lb bags of corn for $8, and four boxes of sandwich bags, One coffee cup of corn per bag,would fill 200 bags which sold for a quarter at the store.
Cost me $10, sold for $50.
Took about an hour to bag 50 lbs.
During peak summer, the store would sell 300-500 bags per day.

bought my first motorcycle, a used Honda Trail 90, and my first car, a basket case 1966 Thunderbird with the money.
My brother who was old enough to drive would buy a pickup load of firewood and split it and bundle it and deliver the bundles to the campground for $2 each. He paid for a 61 Chevy long bed Stepside the first summer.
We tried selling worms, but that didn’t work out, we ordered them in bulk from a worm farm and they were delivered to the local post office, UPS didn’t deliver to super rural areas back then. The post office would call when they came in,
One day the post office called and said the worms were delivered but we better bring a shovel, the box had ruptured and there were 9000 night crawlers in the tiny post office.
Oh and we won’t accept any more boxes of worms.

$4.25 1989 Cartersville K Mart . There's an Academy store there now that I might go to work for for a while after PT. 20% off Everything in the store and Great insurance. Not a bad "Get back on your feet job" IMHO for $11.00 hr to start. Haven't made that kind'a money since 1992 LOL But I may end up at the Harley Shop?

A totally different era back in 1974, men did not go to the grocery store (except for the "Disco Kroger" to pick up women {whole other story}) probably 99% of shoppers were women. There were two schools of thought @Just1more either you emptied your pockets often to look like a "struggling bag boy" or you kept the coins all day to give you a bulge like a hernia... :)
i think my parents told me about disco kroger... was that in buckhead? lol

Back
Top Bottom