• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

How often do ya shoot hollow points? Do ya train with them

sheep dog

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
270   0
Reaction score
I know a lot of peeps are not shooting at all with the shortage but for those that do or before all the craziness...do ya just shoot range ammo or do ya train with your carry ammo. Did some range time today and reminded the somewhat significant felt recoil and overall shooting difference with carry ammo vs range ammo. I shot range ammo most the session and then as I like to do, put some mags of federal hst rounds that I carry down range. If ya don’t ever shoot your carry ammo, you should. It’s not the same. I noticed it especially in the smaller pistols in 9mm. Significant more jump in the smaller pistols with carry ammo over range ammo. That’s all. It does no good to stock tons of ammo and not be proficient with your carry. If we carry, we owe it to ourselves and others to practice and be able to put rounds where we want them to go. Another thing I noticed with carry ammo is the benefit of a pinky extension on the small pistols that are 2 finger guns with flush fit mags (such as g26 and P365 today). Stay safe fellas

I know a lot of peeps are not shooting at all with the shortage but for those that do or before all the craziness...do ya just shoot range ammo or do ya train with your carry ammo. Did some range time today and reminded the somewhat significant felt recoil and overall shooting difference with carry ammo vs range ammo. I shot range ammo most the session and then as I like to do, put some mags of federal hst rounds that I carry down range. If ya don’t ever shoot your carry ammo, you should. It’s not the same. I noticed it especially in the smaller pistols in 9mm. Significant more jump in the smaller pistols with carry ammo over range ammo. That’s all. It does no good to stock tons of ammo and not be proficient with your carry. If we carry, we owe it to ourselves and others to practice and be able to put rounds where we want them to go. Another thing I noticed with carry ammo is the benefit of a pinky extension on the small pistols that are 2 finger guns with flush fit mags (such as g26 and P365 today). Stay safe fellas
I do the same thing. Practice with (formerly) inexpensive range ammo, but always the same grain as my defense ammo. I’ll shoot a mag or 2 of defensive at the end of my session to check accuracy and function with it. If my accuracy is way off I’ll go through a box to get reacquainted.

I load my range ammo at close to max(safe in my guns.)

I carry FMJ range ammo for SD in my micro sized .380 pocket rocket.
So, yes, I'll burn up what's in it every few months.
Even now, w/the ammo shortage and crazy prices.

For my other "defensive" guns, no, I have not shot any
premium defensive ammo thru them since March.

Back
Top Bottom