• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

How to attract deer away from corn?

3   0
Reaction score
So I have a situation. Im not going to hunt while bait is out, as a matter of fact, i dont want to do that. Fact of the matter is, my neighbor feeds deer all year long. I dont know if he hunts over these feeders or not. But hes feeding them, and they are going to him, instead of me. I also know hes feeding them corn.

So my question is, can anyone help me out and give some advice on an food that deer like better than corn? I havent ever used much of them, and like I said, i aint going to hunt over it, but I only go down every 2 weeks, so I am going to feed them during those 2 weeks that I am not there, even if its just a bag of apples. Then ill check on Friday nights and get anything thats left up off the ground. I just want to get them coming my way more, even if they only come once every 3 or 4 days. Anything that will increase my chances.

Corn is an ice cream food to deer. You can plant, burn off, fertilize, improve, put out salt licks and do 14 varieties of sacred tribal Indian prayer dances, but you are going to be fighting an up "MOUNTAIN" battle to pull deer off a established feeder of corn that they have patterned as safe and reliable.

Over the years, I have done it all (by the book) to try to have a quality place(s) to hunt but let someone just over the line put out a feeder in the summer and keep it going and my deer flock to their side walking over well pruned food plots, fertilized mast trees, etc.

That's just plain FACT!

I believe food has to be removed for 30 days prior to hunting

Legal to place feed or mineral for deer on private property only. Not legal to hunt within sight or within 200 yards of deer bait in northern zone. Must be removed 10 days prior to hunting. Legal to feed or bait deer all year in southern zone on private land only.

Molasses or a Pile of Apples get to their Sweet tooth.

You want to bait the deer away from his bait? :confused:
I see you live in the Northern zone so if you are hunting in the northern zone, any/all bait must be removed 10 days prior to hunting the area (200 yard radius). I wouldn't worry about your idiot (yes he is) neighbor. The deer aren't flying to the corn. If you want to cut them off, find their travel routes. Deer act differently, very, in different areas. People will plant one thing in one place and it won't get touched and in another county they'll kill themselves walking over everything else to get to it. Your neighbor is also not supposed to have it close enough to the property line to make you hunting your property illegal.
If it was me in the same situation and I couldn't convince my neighbor he's not doing the deer any favors by feeding them that garbage, I'd find a dropping white oak on my place and hunt. They aren't living on his corn.

Not much you can do about the food on the neighboring property be it bagged corn or agriculture crops. Find the travel routes across your property the deer are using. Look for worn trails and fresh poop. Instead of buying food for them invest in a good trail cam and figure out when they are crossing your property to hit his feeder. Cut them off before they get there.

Find where they sleep. Find where they eat. Wait in between.

Back
Top Bottom