• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

How to attract deer away from corn?

Not sure how well it works, but you could try Big and J BB2 attractant. I put some out a couple of weeks ago and the deer have eaten some of it, but they haven't exactly demolished it. Doesn't help that my property already has way too many natural food sources. It is the only attractant my deer have even touched other than food plots and mineral blocks. The Big and J stuff claims to be able to draw deer away from your neighbors property, but I don't know if it can compete with a feeder the deer have grown accustomed to. They don't lie about the powerful smell of it though. I walked into Tractor Supply Co and it was all you could smell in the entire store. It's loud enough you can smell it through the unopened bag.

thanks man!

Not sure how well it works, but you could try Big and J BB2 attractant. I put some out a couple of weeks ago and the deer have eaten some of it, but they haven't exactly demolished it. Doesn't help that my property already has way too many natural food sources. It is the only attractant my deer have even touched other than food plots and mineral blocks. The Big and J stuff claims to be able to draw deer away from your neighbors property, but I don't know if it can compete with a feeder the deer have grown accustomed to. They don't lie about the powerful smell of it though. I walked into Tractor Supply Co and it was all you could smell in the entire store. It's loud enough you can smell it through the unopened bag.

If you own the property plant a few chestnut trees on it and in 5 years you'll have deers #1 preferred natural food source over anything. Won't do you any good this year though...

I've got 2 in my yard and hate those trees with a passion. They are the biggest pain in the world. Heck if someone like crestnuts they can come get as much as they want even a truck load full but must take the hulls with them.

There is a potential solution. I had this issue years ago and learned how to capitalize on it...all legal and ethical. Scout the heck out of your property to determine bedding areas. Mark them on a map, figure out the trails leading from bedding areas on your land that go toward the feeders and there you go. Just make sure that you don't get too close to the feeders and break the law if they are just across the line. Your neighbors feeding has probably set up a travel pattern that you can absolutely capitalize on if you put in the field time to figure out the bedding areas and feeding trails to the feeders.

I've got 2 in my yard and hate those trees with a passion. They are the biggest pain in the world. Heck if someone like crestnuts they can come get as much as they want even a truck load full but must take the hulls with them.
You sure you have CHESTNUT trees? Are these some Chinese or hybrids you planted?

Time for a gross out. If you have a girlfriend or wife, "borrow" her used thingys and hang them upwind of where you want to hunt. Put them in a ziplock and freeze them until you need them. Get one of those little kids toys that you turn over and it makes a "moo" ("meh") sound. Boys will be boys and forget about food.

You sure you have CHESTNUT trees? Are these some Chinese or hybrids you planted?

Yep their american chestnuts and I hate them. One of the trees is pretty old which is the only thing stopping me from cutting them. I'll even takes pictures if need be.
I hate them the big one is near the house. The dang things get caught up in my pants get dragged into the house. Always having to get the thorns out of my feet. I hate mowing the yard this time of the year when their all dropping it's like a machine gun when I go across the yard with the mower. I paid a young cousin once to cut the yard and he won't come back again if their on the ground.
I don't like the taste of them either so that doesn't help

Last edited:
Yep their american chestnuts and I hate them. One of the trees is pretty old which is the only thing stopping me from cutting them. I'll even takes pictures if need be.
I hate them the big one is near the house. The dang things get caught up in my pants get dragged into the house. Always having to get the thorns out of my feet. I hate mowing the yard this time of the year when their all dropping it's like a machine gun when I go across the yard with the mower. I paid a young cousin once to cut the yard and he won't come back again if their on the ground.
I don't like the taste of them either so that doesn't help
If you have mature producing AMERICAN Chestnut trees, you seriously need to get in touch with these folks. http://www.acf.org/ I believe there was only one small stand left discovered a few years ago somewhere in the Missouri valley maybe it was?, in any case, after many many years, they are now hoping a very diluted hybrid will survive the blight. Everyone contends the hybrids simply are NOT like the true pure American Chestnuts were. If what you have is the real deal, it would be a pretty major find that those working on the restoration would no doubt like to know about.

Back
Top Bottom