how to rope a deer........or not......

Well I was a young kid I used to go out in the country and stay the night with my cousin right at the base of the Peaks Of Otter. The Blue Ridge Parkway runs right through it. Me and my cousin used to get up in the morning and go check the traps with his father ( my mother's brother ). He was trapping specifically for Fox. A lot of the times they had a raccoon or skunk and he would just shoot them with a 22 and then pick up the trap and reset it somewhere else. One time he had a fox in the trap which was one of the only times I had seen an actual fox in the trap. It's just the way it worked out they only trapped a certain time of the year. Well when a fox was in the trap he would use a big stick and knock the fox in the head to kill it. That way the fur was not damaged and he got more for it. Then just take the steak out of the ground and drag the trap and fox back to the truck. Well he must have not hit the fox hard enough because halfway back to the truck that sucker came back too and literally ate his leg up. Me and my cousin were laughing so hard. He got so mad at us he never took us both out again. Me and my cousin laughed all day long because we were sitting there repeating how he was cussing and dancing with that trap in his hand. What we couldn't figure out is why he just didn't drop the trap that's what was so funny. I guess once you're set on doing something it takes a violent act to get you out of that mindset. Sure was funny though. He had to go get rabies shots after that.

Back
Top Bottom