• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

How to shop for rural land?

Crappy realtors might do that. I never do. A client is never 1 sale. It's always repeat business and word of mouth. In every business you have people willing to screw someone over for a buck and then you have honest people doing their best to provide a worthwhile service to their clients to make an honest living. It takes years to build a good reputation and seconds to destroy it. I dislike people that think they have the novel idea that you have to be a dishonest prick to make money. It's not true but people just can't seem to help themselves from trying. It's actually much better business to be honest and do your best for a client. You will end up doing a lot more business for years that way rather than trying to take the dick shortcut. Rant over.
Yeah, I knew it would be taken that way. Sorry, I didn't mean to sound mean.
Just pointing out that there is that "temptation". If you keep that in mind, you might notice when something seems fishy (like the post I replied to did, presumably).
I've only dealt with a realtor once, 30 years ago - no problems.
The worst I could say about the "typical" case would be that realtors tend to focus on the upper end of you price range. So I'd probably leave some padding on the range I told them.

Yeah, I knew it would be taken that way. Sorry, I didn't mean to sound mean.
Just pointing out that there is that "temptation". If you keep that in mind, you might notice when something seems fishy (like the post I replied to did, presumably).
I've only dealt with a realtor once, 30 years ago - no problems.
The worst I could say about the "typical" case would be that realtors tend to focus on the upper end of you price range. So I'd probably leave some padding on the range I told them.

I didn't take it personally. I know there are crappy Realtors out there. My rant was more directed at them not your post.

thanks for the help so far everyone. I took some of this info and the prices I'm finding and I believe I have the wife 100% on board with starting the saving/shopping process. Still not sure if we want to do a trailer, cabin, tiny house, or buy something with a building on it already but the first steps are happening.

I found the first land I bought through a realtor. The property borders the selling agents property / home , a great find for me.
Later I bought an adjacent tract from Plum Creek (Weyerhaeuser) I called my neighbor realtor and she reached the agent who is contracted with Plum Creek. The land was not for sale but they sold it.
Georgia Land for Sale - 40,390 Listings | LandWatch

look for easements in the property. Does a neighbor have an easement to access their land...?
Power lines running thru?
Are there shared wells?
flood zone / wetlands?

Great ideas on talking to neighbors and locals, city planning (County GIS can be a good tool), chicken far proximity. Don't rule out the landfill too. Bought an office warehouse in Cleveland GA. Didn't know until SUMMER time when it smelled like %$^#&$$%%^@#$ when the wind blew.

Thanks for the help so far everyone. We’ve started saving some cash and thinking about how we’d like to do it as a family. Lots of cool options and I’m excited for the prospect.

I am also considering selling a bunch of gun stuff. **** I could probably pay for the first acre in primers alone!

Thanks for the help so far everyone. We’ve started saving some cash and thinking about how we’d like to do it as a family. Lots of cool options and I’m excited for the prospect.

I am also considering selling a bunch of gun stuff. **** I could probably pay for the first acre in primers alone!

Good luck , the land that I own may well be the most enjoyable thing that I have ever bought!

Back
Top Bottom