• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

I-16 shut down between Macon and Savannah

BTW, local truckers say the driver is telling everyone his wife accidentally hit the "raise button" while going down on him. I personally wouldn't have told that, but having been a trucker at one time, I guess that explanation is preferable to "I am such a dumbass I didn't notice my trailer in dump mode while driving down the interstate"!

The bridge is already demolished, as soon as they clean up the debris they will reopen 16 and replace the bridge one side at a time. it will be a bottle neck for a year with traffic diverted down down to one lane

You can't raise the bed unless the PTO is engaged. You can't say you didn't know the PTO was engaged because you'd have to deaf as a doornail not to hear it screaming.
ANYTHING - any safeguard, stop or whatever can be rewired. It all depends on how much of an OSHA nuisance it is. I have two lawn tractors built 25 years apart. Both have hydraulic, continuously-variable transmissions, but the newer one has a cut-out safety switch that forces you to stop and reposition the ignition switch to go into reverse. I pulled out all that crap because my 1994 tractor works just fine without it. All it takes is know how...

The bridge is already demolished, as soon as they clean up the debris they will reopen 16 and replace the bridge one side at a time. it will be a bottle neck for a year with traffic diverted down down to one lane
One of the videos said they'd demolish it within a couple of weekends....ordering and replacing the steel? A different matter...

ANYTHING - any safeguard, stop or whatever can be rewired. It all depends on how much of an OSHA nuisance it is. I have two lawn tractors built 25 years apart. Both have hydraulic, continuously-variable transmissions, but the newer one has a cut-out safety switch that forces you to stop and reposition the ignition switch to go into reverse. I pulled out all that crap because my 1994 tractor works just fine without it. All it takes is know how...

PTO's in dump buckets are engaged by pulling a knob on the dashboard with a cable to the PTO that engages a chain driven pump to the piston. There's nothing to get around.

Why not just make the same dumb ass kamikaze another raised dump bed in from the other side and knock it back square? Problem solved!

I was gonna suggest getting one fo the local farmers with a 100hp tractor and a long chain...just yank that puppy back into position and call it good.

SERIOUS COMMENT: I know I'm a lawyer, not an engineer, but I find it hard to believe that a modern bridge --which generally just rests on its supports without being mechanically bolted to them-- could not be slid back into the correct position.

NOT SO MUCH:
If the highway department wanted to knock the bridge deck back into position,
try doing it the same way it was knocked out of position-- by taking a well-used $75,000 tractor-trailer sized dump truck loaded with debris, and wiring it to drive by remote control, and ram it!!
I think the DOT could sell the film rights to that, and make enough money to pay for the entire project.

This could be a pay-per-view opportunity!

On the udder hand,
there are too many truck crash videos available to watch free on the Internet
to expect a good return on investment to charge a fee to watch one
on pay-per-view.
example:

Back
Top Bottom