• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I had no idea you could order chickens online.

Our first 8 chicks were from breeders, half of which ended up being roosters…….. and they weren’t cheap. I gave one rooster away and has dispatch 2 of the others because they got violent towards the other chickens and my wife and son. The next 7 came from tractor supply, 3 Rhode Island reds, 3 Leghorn and a Bantam. The Bantam turn out to be a rooster and the rest hens. The leghorn are by far the friendliest breed, very curious, will follow you around, and are great egg producers. The Reds are sweet as well, the largest of the group, and lay equal to the leghorn. Out of 9 laying hens, I’m still getting at least 5 eggs per day. We keep them in their run until 3pm to free range. They put theirselves up at night, we just close the door.

Honestly, unless you want some super rare pet chicken, just save money and go to Tractor Supply.
We do about the same we have 8 hens avrage about 4 eggs a day We let ours out about 3pm this time of year Our friendliest hen is a Black sexlink she will jump up in your arms if she thinks you have a mealworm

Try duck eggs their super rich and great for baking cakes and such..Also make a mighty fine Omelette and souffle's
True… we raised ducks also, but mostly for food.
When they mated, they wouldn’t sit on their eggs, so we’d place them under an old setting hen to incubate and hatch them. When they did hatch, the hen thought they were hers. Poor thing’d go crazy when the ducklings would head straight to the water pan and jump in.

Ol' Bill explaining how to do it...

iu

We usually give a bunch of chicks away in the spring, chicken math is real, and you can get over-run :D

Our barnyard mixes look pretty cool, we have a rooster that is half Silkie that bred all kinds of Wyandottes, Australorps, RIR, Sapphire Blue Plymouths.. so we have some blue chickens with full afros, some spotty ones with fuzzy feet, Black ones with the full 'fro.. it's like a full on genetic experiment around these parts.

Back
Top Bottom