I just bought a Polaris 4 Wheeler. Do ATV's have titles?

DMGun

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
213   0
Reaction score
Hello ODT

Not sure where this thread should go...

I bought a 2003 Polaris 500 Sportsman and the guy said he could not remember if he had a title for it or if there is one.

Do ATV's have titles?

THANKS

Well, the legally purchased ones originally come with titles.

Well, I'll be damned.

The state of Georgia does not require tags, titles, or registrations for the following vehicles:

Mopeds
Off-road vehicles
All-terrain vehicles
Motorized carts
Farm trailers weighing less than 3,500 pounds
Farm trailers with no springs, pulled from a tongue, and used primarily for fertilizer
Any tractor or three-wheeled motorcycle used only for agricultural purposes

You can view a complete list of vehicles that do not require a title on the state's Motor Vehicle Division website.

http://www.dmv.org/ga-georgia/other-types-of-vehicles.php#-Mopeds-ATVs-and-More-

Last edited:
YEah, I was reading a debate on some other forum and apparently before 2004 Georgia DID require a title on ATV's but not now.

My 400ex and my YFZ450 both had titles, as well as my 02 RM250. They all had titles. Make sure you have the numbers run. My friend bought a very nice utility four wheeler and was stopped by a cop in his neighborhood. They ran the numbers and it came up stolen. My friend HAD A BILL OF SALE (for all the BOS guys) and he was still arrested for felony theft by receiving. It cost him thousands in attorney fee's fighting this case. The man he got it from was the boyfriend of his aunt who was nowhere to be found for a while. I believe his charges were dropped, but he still had to forfeit the quad and was out an additional $3500 for that purpose.

Edit: Certificate of Origin - This is the one on my 400ex

00000COO.jpg

Last edited:
My 400ex and my YFZ450 both had titles, as well as my 02 RM250. They all had titles. Make sure you have the numbers run. My friend bought a very nice utility four wheeler and was stopped by a cop in his neighborhood. They ran the numbers and it came up stolen. My friend HAD A BILL OF SALE (for all the BOS guys) and he was still arrested for felony theft by receiving. It cost him thousands in attorney fee's fighting this case. The man he got it from was the boyfriend of his aunt who was nowhere to be found for a while. I believe his charges were dropped, but he still had to forfeit the quad and was out an additional $3500 for that purpose.

Oh cmon man....surely a BoS was all the proof of his righteousness he ever needed. Why they can catch you with a smoking, hot barreled Saturday night special in your hand but if you have a BoS, you are free to go and not detained. LOL!

See my sig.... ;)

Offroad vehicles such as ATV's and Motorcycles come with Certificate of Origins and not titles. It's similar and even resembles a title, but a title is for something that has to be registered.

Back
Top Bottom